Chapter Thirty Four

2 Years Later

As late afternoon light streams in through the windows bordering the high ceiling, I can't help but be distracted by the dust motes dancing through the air. It's been a long day of preparations and now almost two hours of sitting and listening, of course I am easily distracted. My body is racked with nerves and I know they will not dissipate until this is all over.

Finally, the group around me stands and like good little robots we shuffle from our rows of seats and follow our guide backstage. My heart races as we inch closer and closer and then there is only one person in front of me. I remember to wipe the sweat from my hands and then I step out from behind the curtain as the announcer says: "Haven Clark, Mental Health Studies Diploma".

The lights shine brightly down on me, hot and suffocating especially in this itchy graduation robe. I try to take my mom's advice and look directly ahead, towards the line of University officials waiting to shake my hand but I can't help turning my head towards the crowd. From somewhere in the mass of people I hear a few cheers louder than the others and I smile as I recognize the voices of my loved ones.

I can hardly recall taking my diploma from the hands of the Dean, nor shaking hands with any of the staff. Suddenly, it's all over and I am on the other side of the stage, hidden by the curtains and being told to follow the green arrows taped to the ground. As expected, I no longer feel nervous. A calmness fills me as I realize I did it; I've finally graduated University. I'm not walking away with a fancy degree or anything but clutched in my hand is a Diploma, and that's more than I thought I would ever achieve in my life.

The ceremony ends fifteen minutes after I return to my seat, and I join the throngs of graduates and their families making their way to the exits. I can't wait until I can get out of this robe and go for dinner. I'm starving. In the mass of people, I easily pick out Becca and her new fiancé, Stephen. I like him; I think he is the perfect match for her. Calm but not passive.

"Congratulations, you didn't even trip! Your mom told me to give you this," Becca pulls me into a giant bear hug, "she left right after you crossed the stage so she could make it to work on time."

I accept the hug gratefully and pull away with a small smile on my face. I love my mom and I'm glad she was here to watch me cross the stage, this was all her doing after all. I just wish she didn't work so hard.

"Thanks." I smile, "Did you video chat Jennie?" I question, as I pull my phone from inside of my bra, why didn't they make these robes with pockets?

"I tried, the reception was terrible in there. You should probably call her and let her know how it went." Becca urges, as she leans into Stephen with a wide smile on her face. She is so in love, it's ridiculous.

I quickly video chat Jennie, knowing she will be anxiously waiting to hear from me. The last two years we have remained great friends, and she was devastated that she couldn't be here in person. I get it though, flights are not cheap and it's not like she is the only one who couldn't be here.

"Hello!" Jennie's voice rings through the phone but her face does not appear on my screen.

"Hey, why can't I see you?" I ask, as I angle the phone for the best lighting.

"You can't see me?" her high-pitched voice comes through the speaker, distorted by too much background noise.

"No, I can barely hear you too. I just wanted to call because Becca said the video chat didn't work so well." I explain.

"Are you sure you can't see me?" Jennie questions curiously, a hint of surprise in her voice.

"Yeah, it's just black." I clarify.