Chapter Six

As I stand waiting in the condo's lobby, I am sweating like I have just run a marathon. No, I have not done any sort of physical activity; I am waiting for Nik to pick me up. My nerves are out of control and I have roughly three minutes to get it together. I take a few deep breaths and wipe my sweaty palms on my jean shorts. Why do I have to be so nervous?

Our plan was to go to a movie together. That was friendly enough plus that meant not much talking would be necessary. I hadn't checked out any of the movie theaters in Vancouver so it was also adding to my summer experience as well.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I jump a foot in the air. I nearly drop my phone in my slick hands and check the message.

I'm here

Just as I look up from the screen, I see a red truck pull up in front of the building. With a final deep breath, I leave the lobby and urge myself to get it together. This isn't a big deal; it's just Nik. A guy I have been alone with hundreds of times without ever being nervous.

I pull the passenger door open and step into the truck. The smell of him engulfs me, mixed with the scent of the leather interior. Cold air is blasting through the vents and I welcome it onto my nervously hot skin.

"Hey," I say cheerfully and flash him a small smile.

"Hey Haven." He grins at me and my heart thumps wildly under my ribcage. "So this is what not being friends means to you? Texting me the very next day to hang out?" His teasing causes a blush to rise in my cheeks. This behaviour is so typical of my Nik I can't help but smile.

"Give me a break," I roll my eyes. "Yesterday was a lot to handle."

"Yeah, yeah." He punches the gas pedal and his truck takes off down the street like a bullet. "I'd put your seatbelt on." He grins again but doesn't take his eyes off the road.

"Please don't tell me your one of those guys who drives like a complete maniac," I complain as I click my seat belt into place.

"Only sometimes."

I wring my hands together in my lap, a nervous habit I can't seem to kick. We fall into an uncomfortable silence and I urge myself to think of something to say. Usually I am great at holding a conversation with someone; it comes naturally to me. I subtly take a deep breath and ask the first thing I think of.

"So you work then?"

Nik chuckles and shakes his head slightly. "What?"

Dammit. I curse inwardly

"When I texted you, you said you had to work today but we could hang out after." I clarify.

"Yeah, I work." He laughs and gives me an odd look.

"What do you do for work?" He isn't getting the fact that I am trying to start a conversation.

"Just general labour stuff for one of my dad's friends."

We fall into silence again and I feel a tense frustration settle into my body. He drives, less crazy than when he peeled away from the Hutchs condo, and keeps his eyes on the road. I watch him without bothering to hide it.

His jawline is smooth today, no stubble in sight. There is a set to his wide shoulders that makes him look tense. Well good, at least we are both feeling it. The fabric of his tee shirt stretches tight around his biceps and I need to fight the urge to poke his muscular arms.

"Why are you staring at me?" He finally breaks the silence.

"Because you look weird." I blurt out.