Chapter 6: A Puzzle

AN: Hi guys! 😇 Happy Diwali! 🎆 🎆 🎆 New chapter is here. Happy reading! 😊

Expect the unexpected. 😉

"Are you sure ma'am? Kali Thakur?"

The inspector stopped his pen and asked Gauri. His face was inscrutable. She already felt out of place at the police station. But it was necessary to file a formal complaint or the miscreants would roam scot-free. The goons had been arrested, but Kali's brothers had escaped.

"Yes sir, it was him."
"Have you seen him before?"

The sound of clanking chains as she was dragged by her feet ringed in her ears. That was how Kali treated his brides-to-be. To buy them, chain them, drag them to the marriage altar, and so-called 'marry' them, if one could call it that. And finally sell them.

"I have. My hometown is Bareilly. The place where he literally rules."

The inspector looked stumped for a moment. He said nothing. After some contemplation, he asked her to wait there and disappeared inside the office.

It was a busy police station. Officers filing complaints at their desks, offenders bullying other offenders in the lockups, peons delivering files and tea, more handcuffed rouges brought in. It looked strange that criminals still roamed free after so much work. Why were people like Kali still not behind the bars?

There were rich people whose power and position could sway and corrupt the system. In Bareilly Kali had almost bought them. So nobody could file a complaint against him. Maybe the Mumbai police was different from that in Bareilly. Or was it? Her hands turned cold.

'No Mr. Oberoi, you needn't come. I insist. The girl would file the complaint.. But I got strict instructions from above to not involve the Oberois.'

It was same everywhere, just not as visible. Did the inspector know who Kali Thakur was?

Her throat was parched. Some rogue in the lockup gawked at her. She walked outside to drink some water.

No Gauri, not everyone was same. The man who had saved her, Mr. Omkara Singh Oberoi, belonged to a high-profile business family. But he was different. Why otherwise would he fight with the goons for her? Or insist to go to the police station to fulfill his citizen-duty?

She had broken his car, and he completely ignored the matter. It was HIS car! Clank. The glass slipped from her hands and water spilled on her clothes. People turned to look at her.

His clothes were wet too. What if he fell sick? Actually, what kind of man would take the risk of his life to stand up for a stranger woman? The goons had hurt him a lot. He took all their punches... Why did he have that fire extinguisher in his car? Did he think he was too hot?