chapter 76 | would it break them?

EMILY HAD told Eric that she had let Venus escape a day after she did. No doubt, she was already at Erudite, trying to save us. She had tried to explain to him what she was going to do, but he didn't understand.

"You let her escape? She's a prisoner, Emily, there's concequences for that, and not just for you. For her."
"She's going to Erudite, and she's going to open the box."

Eric's face dropped. He looked betrayed, and then mad again. "What are you telling me, Emily?" He remembered bringing back all those Divergents, watching their bodies slump dead against the wires, every single one of them - dead. "Everyone who has tried to open the box has died. How could you be so stupid?"

"Because I wasn't gonna walk away from that cell and leave her there in the dark. Most of the Candor want her executed. We won't be able to stop that. I had to let her leave." Emily averted her eyes. "Tris was meant to open the box. Venus said it was the least she could do."

"Venus wasn't thinking."

"Wrong, yet again, dipshit." Emily snapped. "Venus is always thinking-"

"Yes, about everyone else. Never about herself." Eric shook his head. "I'm going after her."

"What? Are you retarted- wait, nevermind. I already know the answer to that!" Her voice raised an octave.

"Just... hold things down over here, okay?"

"I'm holding them down, alright." Emily sighed.

"Does Four know that she's gone?" Eric asked. Emily shook her shoulders.

"I thought about telling him, but I don't want to give him another problem to worry about. I also don't want him to say that he doesn't care about her, because of what he did. I don't know what I'd say."

"You have to tell him. I know what happens to Divergent's that go into Erudite. They never rarely come out."

"What is there to do?" Emily cried out. "We can't stop Jeanine."

"We can stop the war."

***

VENUS

IT FELT like my insides were whirling together, and I wanted to throw up again, but I couldn't bare to stare down at another little puddle of blood.

I couldn't see anything from my right eye, but then again, that's what you get for trying to fight a guard. Jeanine had pushed me through Abnegation and Erudite and Amity tests, but I had failed on the Candor test, kicking and screaming, blood spilling from my ears and my nose and my mouth. The sim's were breaking me apart from the insides and it was only day one.

They took me for a break and that's when I decided I wanted to throw a punch at the guards. It was clear I was losing, but a part of me was happy that they'd beaten me so far into unconciousness that I missed Jeanine's torture for the second time.
Now I'm spewing up blood - which, of course, is a really crappy sign, and my head feels like it's going to explode. I just have to remember what I'm doing this for. My family, the people I love. Chicago. I need to restore the peace.
This is what Tris would have done.
This is what I stopped Tris from doing.

Would she have completed the sims yet?

Would she had felt this weak?

I heard the clomping of boots down a hallway and looking up from my dry heaving, to see the guard I had attacked from earlier approaching me.

I stumbled to my feet and that was good for me, right now. "Are you here to finish me off?" I smiled, and could taste the blood in her mouth, on and between her teeth. "Come on, you little bitch-"

The one I had attacked gave me a vacant glare, grabbing my arm tightly. I let out a little wince as the other guard grabbed my left arm, and brought me down that same hallway.
I could hardly keep my body upright but I tried, anyway.

When they reached the testing room, I saw Jeanine wearing that blue dress, her hair neatly brushed, with little pearl earrings I wanted to rip out. Everything about her face ignored me, made me want to shove another knife through her hand like Tris had done. Tris had done that. Tris would do this, too.

"Good morning, Venus." Jeanine beamed fakely. "Although I'm guessing you can't really keep track of time anymore. The hours are just blending together for you, aren't they, huh?"
"So I'm here for session two of my torture, I'm guessing."

"Yes. Well, two and three, since you skipped one yesterday, naughty girl. Nice tactic though." I rolled my eyes, screwing my fists together.

"You're in pretty bad shape, might I say. We ran a couple tests while we were out - you're bleeding internally. That's pretty bad." But she smiled. I smiled back, even though - that was pretty bad.

"Then again, Miss Eaton, you won't give up. Your Divergence holds the closest to Tris Prior's, meaning you're quite frankly our last hope to open the box." Jeanine brushed her hands together. "I forgot to thank you - I'm extremely grateful for what you did. Killing Tris - another thing off my plate. I'd say you'e in my favor but, well... That's not true."

"Go burn in hell." I spat.

"Not quite yet."

I heard the whizz of wires as they buzzed from the ceiling and I dropped my head. I knew what was coming next. I didn't know how healthy I'd be when I left the sim, or maybe I'd just be dead all together.

How could I live with never seeing Aria again? Or Eric, or my brother or Emily?

Would it break me inside of would I just not know?