chapter 70 | want me, lost me

VENUS

IT TAKES me longer than I expected to get to the stairwell at the opposite end of the hall. I pray that there is no one occupying it as it opens. There isn't.

I jam the pad of my thumb into the top button. The top floor, the interrogation room.

After about two minutes, the elevator slows to a stop. Another minute, and I click a bullet into the trigger.

I hold out my gun as the door opens. Darting forward, I hide behind a pillar rising from the floor. My breaths are short and fast as I hear a voice.

"My orders are to take only two of you back to Erudite headquarters," I peer around the block of concrete. He has a machine, it has a blue screen which illuminates his face - icy blue eyes, the glint of his piercings. He hasn't changed at all. Have I?

The screen flashes. A voice reads out loud - "DIVERGENT, 8%."

Eric raises a brow. "You're almost normal." He scoffs. "That's boring." He points his gun at the boys head and fires. My body jumps, and then goes stiff. I press my back against the cold wall and run my fingers over the metal in my neck.

"What about you?" Eric stops in front of a girl. I gasp when I realize it's Emily, and think about what to do. My gun feels heavy in my hands. I can't shoot him. But I have to do something.

"Oh, I'm a ten." She jokes. "But if it's out of 100..."

Eric glares, and then moves onto Divergent, leaving her to be tested after. I look around, wanting to roll a stone in her direction, but that would draw too much attention to me.

"DIVERGENT, 59%."

"Tris... Tris..." A high-pitched voice whimpered through her tears. "...told me to... stay asleep but I wasn't tired-"

Everything reduced to slow motion. Aria kneeled before Eric, crying, begging for her life. Her own father. Begging for her own life.

"I guess you should've listened." Eric pouted his lip, his eyes emotionless. He pulled his gun from his waistband and pointed it out at her.

I swerve out from the pillar, gun pointed at Eric. I fire, and he swerves, the bullet whizzing past his arm. I'm in front of him. He tackles me, knocking the gun from my hands. It cracks the marble floor.

Eric shoves me, hard, against another concrete pillar. His hands wrap around my neck, so tightly spots of darkness begin to obscure my vision.

My hands are free, I realize. I grab the second gun in his waistband, this one a small shotgun, and press it against his stomach. Water pricks my eyes as I start losing my breath, and everything sways around me.

"Do you want to know how it feels?" I gasp out, clicking the bullet into the chamber. A tear falls down my cheek. My legs go numb.

He stumbles backward, realization dawning on his face. The gun I was holding falls, clattering to my feet. I grip onto the wall, the only thing holding me up.

"Shit," Eric breathes out, but doesn't come any closer. "Venus?"

My eyes flick to the floor, as my legs tremble back to life. I place a cold hand to the base of my throat, and find a strength inside me, a strength I didn't know I had, to look at him in the eyes.

"Mom?" Aria cries out. I hold Eric's stare. He looks down at Aria, unable to look away from her, there's hurt on his face.

Aria's stares up at him, scared, shoulders shaking. Then she looks away, burying her face in her shoulder.

"You were going to shoot her." I spat out. My throat is sore and rough, like I've been smoking. "You were going to put a bullet in your own daughter's head."

Aria runs over to me, and I hold her close, eyes narrowed.

"Venus, I'm sorry." Eric tries, and I bite back more tears. I hear footsteps, so many footsteps. Tris and Tobias are heading from the elevator, large guns in their hands. Tobias sees Eric and picks up his steps, jaw clenched.

I step closer to Eric, so close I see flecks of blue in his gunmetal eyes, shielding Aria behind me. There is a tear down his face. A tear.

My lip quivers. I'm so angry at him.

I raise my hand and slap him. The sound resonates around the room, but it doesn't affect him. He grabs my wrists, desperate, his face so desperate.

"Venus, just listen-" He pleads, the grip he has on me cutting off the circulation in my arm.

I try to get away, wincing. He's hurting me again, like he has always done. It is the one thing he knows how to do.

Tobias presses the barrel of his gun against Eric's temple, fire in his eyes.

Eric lets go when he sees my face, twisted in agony. I step back, looking up at him from beneath my eyelashes.

"I thought you could protect me, but that was long ago." My voice shakes. "You're incapable of loving anyone."

He may want me, but he has lost me.

We've reached the 70th chapter and I couldn't be happier. Thank you for 44k, we still have a little while to go before the end. I really don't want to stop writing this fanfiction <3

X x, caley