The Ivy League Part 29

Start from the beginning

           “Hey!” I protested, but smiling anyway, and because I couldn’t think of anything else to say, “My mom says I’m special on the inside.”

           “Special isn’t all of it.”

           I scowled. “Well just poop on you.”

           “Funny, I’d have thought these few years would’ve matured you, but it seems like you’ve done a Benjamin Button and just went the other way.”

           “It’s my way, baby,” I chuckled, and then it became awkward because this was just like the conversations we had had before we’d broken up.

           It went quiet for a few moments. “So… um, do you want to meet at the library?” she finally offered, and she sounded very uncertain.

           I became serious. “All right.”

           “Okay. Eleven thirty, then?”

           “You got it.”

           “Bye, Jake,” she said a little sadly, before she hung up.

           I kept the phone pressed to my ear even after the conversation was over, and her voice still echoed in my mind. With a sigh, I brought my hand down, snapping my phone shut, and leaned back against my pillow resting my head on the bed’s headboard.

           “Jacob Howe, will you ever learn, man?” I asked myself.

           The voices in my head didn’t reply. I guess I’ll have to borrow some from Courtney.

***

           I parked my BMW and sat for a few seconds before getting out. With a sigh, I walked across the parking lot to the central library’s massive double doors. I nervously ran my fingers through my hair, and I remembered when she used to do that to me…

           I glanced down before I walked in. My t-shirt was clean and dark navy blue. I’d forgotten, but long ago she had told me that her favorite colour on me was blue, because it brought out my eyes. I walked into the library, and immediately that hushed atmosphere descended upon me. The librarian at the desk eyed me and gave me a stern look, even though I hadn’t done anything. Yet.

           I saw her sitting in an armchair by a window, her head resting on her knees as she looked out the window. Her hair tumbled over her shoulders, and she was wearing jeans and a sweater. I’d forgotten how beautiful she was.

           As I neared, she looked up and quickly stood up when she saw me. We stood in front of each other, a little apart, and silently looked at each other.

           “Jake,” she finally said, averting her eyes, and her gaze swept my chest.

           “Leah,” I greeted her quietly, and at her name, her gray eyes glanced up to my blue ones.

           “Uh, you came,” she stammered rather unnecessarily, as though she couldn’t believe it. Despite myself, I smirked.

           She caught my amused expression and scowled; the tension faded.

           “It’s not like I didn’t know you’d come,” she snapped, “you’re too curious to stay away.”

           “I’d forgotten how much you like stating the obvious,” I said, still smirking.