"This can't be."

___

Outside, Leo was preparing a stern lecture to give Millie once she returned.

"...and another thing, do you know how reckless you've been? In half a day, somehow you've managed to make me an accessory to whatever this is, and I'm sick of it! You know what? I'm leaving. You're on your own," Leo stomped to the edge of the curb.

Arms folded, he nodded to a passing Mr. Jameson walking his Bernedoodle.

"Good to see you Leo," Mr. Jameson waved.

"Likewise."

Leo wandered underneath the upstairs window high above once Mr. Jameson exited from view.

"Are you almost done Millicent?"

"It's Millie," she whispered back, "and no. Hold your horses."

"My horses are held, now come. I'm getting impatient."

"Try yoga."

"Not interested."

"Maybe meditation's more your style. It works wonders trust me."

"You know what works wonders? You not raising my blood pressure," he said through clenched teeth. "I don't want to even think about all the stuff you're getting yourself into. Also--"

"Leo. What are you doing at Amelia's house? Can't you see it's off limits to the public?"

A cruiser door slammed behind him, sending the nerves up his spine into a frenzy. He turned around slowly.

The woman sipped from a coffee cup, leaving it on the police car hood.

"Mrs. Daniels or should I say Ms. Daniels because of well you know..."

"Ms. Daniels will do. Weren't you supposed to meet Chase today?"

"You got me," Leo rubbed the base of his neck. "I totally forgot about that due to the cyclone of mass destruction that came my way this morning. It's causing all sorts of trouble. You know, breaking things, ending up where it's not supposed to, tackling people."

Edie didn't pick up on Leo's strange word choice or perhaps she didn't care altogether, as she adjusted her hat three times.

"Heard that," Millie yelled. "So not subtle!"

"Who was that? Is someone else here?" Edie reached for the crackling walkie talkie attached to her belt.

"Uh...no," Leo said, stumbling forward, "that was me."

"You?"

"Oh yeah. I uh...sometimes, mainly right now, like to try out my girl voice."

"Really?"

"Of course. Convincing, right? Almost as if a real girl were right here," his fingers sliced through deep chocolate hair. "It's not weird."

"I don't judge," she raised her hands, but her eyes told lies. "Come on I'll give you a ride to the football field."

"I'm good."

"Chase isn't. You know how he is about lateness."

"I think that's just with you," Leo thought to himself.

"I'll just text him," Leo waved his phone, sweat dripping from his armpits. "It shouldn't take long. So, seen any good movies lately?"

"You're a sweet kid Leo but I'm 40 and your friend's mom. I know you kids are all about embracing yourselves and who you love but I'd rather not go to jail."

"Just trying to make conversation. I can see now that it backfired," Leo rocked on his heels.

Millie is so gonna get a mouthful.

"Why are Amelia's windows open?" Edie jutted her head.

"You're asking me? I'm just a bystander."

"I'm gonna check it out," Edie strolled to the front door.

"Pfft, don't waste your time. It's probably nothing."

"Maybe but I have to be certain," Edie pushed past him. "Stupid Bob probably left them unlocked."

"Dang it Bob. What is he good for?"

"Shoveling down doughnuts and putting off work."

"Well why don't you tell him that?"

"Why?"

"Carpe diem and all that stuff? Why waste time not telling people how you feel?"

Her crow's feet smoothed out and she bared her teeth, smiling. Her stance tilted, one leg taking the brunt of her weight.

"Is there anything you're not telling me, because lying to an officer is a crime."

Bile rose in Leo's throat and he swallowed, the acid burning him.

"Lying? Can't say that I am."

"Then wait by my car," Edie emptied her pocket, gripping a key and sliding it into the house's keyhole.