Chapter 6

"I've found something that might help you. It's a bit of a walk to where you're going, and this was just idling in the back room so I thought you should have it," Kaycee covered Millie's dark brown eyes leading her to the back of the store.

___

It was hard to imagine a week prior a vacant lot housed carnival games, rides and deep fried well anything.

Not bothering to extend the kickstand Millie let the red bike fall to the grass with a clang. She pocketed the directions Kaycee had given her, making a beeline for the empty stage.

A minute then she sat crossed legged listening and waiting. Truth be told there wasn't much to wait for. The area was nothing short of deserted.

She hadn't a need to strain her ears to hear the crickets chirping loudly against the gentle breeze.

Her back hit the black stage floor, giving her a front row seat to the mountainous range surrounding the town, slow moving clouds and the warm sun lapping at her dark skin.

Sensing her loneliness, she lifted an arm above her head, the other hand coming down to cup her mouth and yelled into the void.

It wasn't an angry outburst, no. It leant more on the side of a healthy release. It was raw, vulnerable and downright nonsensical. Luckily no one was there to witness it.

Or so she thought.

Laughter cut through her attempt at a second go. She craned her neck, her vision clouded by grey.

The figure removed itself from the curtain allowing Millie to take in the rest of them.

A lightweight blue spring jacket added a pop of colour to the would be mundane outfit of a white shirt and jeans. The person crouched, stopping a few inches ahead of Millie.

"Don't stop on my account."

"Were you here the whole time?" Millie propped herself onto her elbows.

"Would the answer I provide in some way work to prevent any further embarrassment?"

"Probably."

"Then no I hadn't been standing here long."

There it was again.

The protruding dimple that wormed itself into Millie's brain whenever the person smiled. The gears inside her head turned, rotated and whizzed finally locking into place.

"Leo?"

The red bracelet the two of them had made when Leo first invited Millie and her family to his house at five years old proudly hung on his arm.

That was also where Millie acquired a lifelong appreciation for Kalbi.

Leo Lei's parents owned Hearthe Falls' only Chinese-Korean fusion restaurant Green Flower. On opening day few showed up. Those who did turned up their noses at the delicious food, wanting cuisine more "western".

On her way home five and a half year old Millie pressed her face to the glass window, the smell of Korean BBQ and Chinese food drifting through the doors.

She begged her parents to let her try it and the food became a Friday night staple in the Morgan household.

"The one and only," Leo's voice interrupted Millie's jog up memory lane.

His eyes scanned over Millie who wore ankle jeans and a light blue flowy crop top on this summer day.

"I was starting to think you forgot about me."