( 26. ) Beginning a story ✓

So this chapter may be a little iffy for some. Everyone has different opinions and interests so I want to account for as many as I can and include them into this chapter.

There are many ways you can begin your story that will often leave you on writer's block.

These include but are not limited to:
-Describing every character within the first few paragraphs (if not an introductory chapter, this counts as the LITERAL first chapter)
-Making it excessively long
-Including too much detail to the story in general rather than that chapter alone

This is not to bash any writer's who do this; however, often books that start like this do not get finished.

Next, I want to acknowledge and describe some ways that stories can be started and continued greatly.

My personal favorite is immediately jumping into the action.

     You can most definitely begin your story with a character(s) doing something. Not only will this grab the attention of the audience, but you will have to finish the action always and therefore you will have a complete part of the story right off the bat. Actions do not always have to be something as grand as a fight or flying a plane, but can also be something as simple as knitting a sweater or brewing a stew. The key to making it interesting is quite literally keywords used in your writing.

Another would be addressing the situation, but subtly.

     Whether your character is heading to the ball to meet their future lover or on their way to fight a mass herd of zombies, you can start by addressing the universe, surroundings of the character, and/or timeline/era of the story, etc. You can go into great detail doing this without specifying any year. It is 100% better to go on describing what the character is seeing in their timeline/universe rather than saying "It was 1867..." or "The war of 2027 left us all devastated..." Eventually, of course, you can bring the year into the book as long as it matches the context.

Character, alone.

     I believe this is another good one specifically if you wanted to introduce your main character within the first chapter. Only including them and their thoughts alone can not only introduce them to the audience, but give them the first look at their personality and choices that they could continuously make throughout the story. Depending on open you leave some of their thoughts/choices can also impact how the audience will feel about them or mold a view of them. For example: If your character will require an arc but you aren't writing it until at least chapter 17, subtle details when they are alone will leave this open to the audience to make assumptions on their future arc [will it work, will it happen, etc].

So now that there's a few example of scenarios you could start and continue with, some basic wording is in store. There are some things you just cannot say in the beginning of a story. I'm going to call these, THE NO-NO WORDS AND PHRASES!

THE NO-NO WORDS AND PHRASES LIST:
-My name is...

-Hello, I'm

-"Mom?" -psa kids, don't get sold to a boyband by your mother after you put your hair in a messy bun. it's not worth it.

-This is the beginning of a new era/me/life...

-Anything that starts with character watching a TV show or doing something on their phone (if story is in appropriate) ESPECIALLY NOT IF IT IS IN THE WRONG TIMELINE! I am willing to fight anybody who adds phone to their dystopian/apocalypse fics.

-Also anything that starts with a character getting ready. [Getting dressed, doing makeup, showering, brushing teeth, eating breakfast, etc] You know... don't even include the car ride to school with your mom. It doesn't matter unless it gradually effects the story for some reason.

-"Hola me llama... oh sorry, I meant hey my name is. Sorry I can't control it, I'm bisexual so I just speak Spanish sometimes."

You guys know at this point I'm picking lol.

Okay, so there really isn't much limitation to words you can start with. If it sounds good to you [and maybe a friend or peer on this app] then chances are, it actually is good and you should trust your instinct. I have no doubt that anyone who has read this book all the way to chapter twenty-six and read my lippy nonsense throughout it all, could not have improved at least a smidge. Now that might sound like boasting, but really, it's encouragement. This site needs new, good books and I know everyone is capable of releasing their best work for someone to enjoy!

[ If you ever need someone to proofread your chapters or anything, I am willing to do that. I do point out spelling errors and things that may sound odd, just a heads up. And a message to my other proofreaders out there, do not hold back on pointing out a writer's mistakes. It is the only way some people can improve. ]