( 22. ) Playlists ✓

THEY ARE GREAT.

You won't ever catch me bashing playlists on here, because I've gained so many new songs for my personal playlist because of them. There are some things people need to know in order to perfect their playlist, but you can't really go wrong with one.

( one. )
Aesthetic—
It is important to make sure you're playlist is organized in a neatly manner, have your songs numbered in order of relevancy to the story, and use B/I/U to make it look more appealing to the eye.

For example:
Use ( i, ii, iii, etc. ) or ( 1, 2, 3, etc. ) instead of bullet points or dashes, because numbering looks better than ( • or — )

Put your songs or artists in italics or bold, but do not have them in the same form. Like ( Highway to Hell. AC/DC ). Personally, I don't like using underline, but as long as it flows well and it looks good to you, I say go for it.

It's nice to add a little quote from the song, especially if it relates to your story or character majorly. But if you do this with one song, you must do it with all of them.

( two. )
Amount—
Yeah, so you don't want to overdo it. I suggest a maximum of ten songs, but if you can do less than that, go for it. Minimum, I would suggest about four-five. A good in between would be lovely. The only exception for adding more than ten is if you aren't adding quotes, that way your playlist won't actually be as long as a chapter of your book.

( three. )
Time Era—
It matters. If you're doing a book set in the 80's, I do not want to see Ariana Grande anywhere near that playlist. I promise you, it won't hurt to use music from that decade and before, but don't overdo that either. People can tell once you've used 6 Queen songs, that you actually have no clue what you're doing.

( four. )
Genre—
Mix it! A good variety of music in your playlist can definitely grab the attention of many of your readers. Some may not listen to Lord Huron, but they do listen to Doja Cat, and they'll be happy to see you included some of their liking into your work as well. An exception to this rule, is if you are basing your playlist on your character rather than the story. If your character is from deep south and blasts Luke Bryan in her boyfriend's pick-up truck, don't put Kevin Gates in that playlist.

( five. )
Vibes—
This is the most important. Listen to your songs, put them on repeat, dance to them– do whatever you have to do. If you can't vibe to the songs, don't put them in the playlist, because 9 times out of 10, that means they don't belong there.