Chapter 4: Meeting Chris Again

Start from the beginning

She then asked me to follow her lead to Chris' office. I took a deep breath and follow her. We took the elevator to the very last floor, the 30th floor. I bet the scenery from the top where Chris' office is really beautiful. And my god, the elevator ride is boring and full of silence. I pretend to check my nails to break the awkwardness while she just check something, maybe a document on her iPad.

'DING!' I looked at the screen just on top of the elevator door. It stated. 30th floor. My heart starts to pump wildly against my chest. My legs starts to shake as if I have taken the stairs from the ground floor to 30th floor instead of taking the elevator. I then took a deep breath and went out of the elevator. I turned around to face the woman that brought me up here. The receptionist just smiled at me and press the button to go back to the ground floor.

I walked towards the huge door ahead of me. The hallway is decorated with modern adobe. The tiles are shiny as if they have just polished it a minute ago. The walls are covered with white wallpaper which are also sound-proofed. There are also different types of paintings that were hooked up on the wall to cover the plainness of the wall.

Cubism... Pop-Art... Surrealism... Yes, I was once an art student. That's why I know some of the different types of paintings.

I stood in front of the door. There is a name-tag on the door and of course it stated his name. I quietly knocked the door and opened it afterwards. My visit is not what I've expected.

I stood there with my jaw dropped. My legs were rooted to the ground. I felt that I'm not welcomed at all. I can't believe I just walked in and saw Chris smooching with another girl. Argh, what a player. So without further ado and not wanting to disturb him, I walked out of the room. As I was about to walk out, I heard him said "Wait!" Then I heard him murmur something to the girl he kissed.

I waited for the girl to leave. When she left, both of us make a deadly glare to each other's eyes. She then rolled her eyes and walked away from the room. After that 'conversation' I had with that demon chick, I sat down in front of Chris' table.

"So how may I help you?" Chris asked me as if nothing just happened a while ago. I crossed my arms against my chest and leant against the back of the chair. How can he not remember me? I furrowed my eyebrows to show him that I'm angry. He looked at me with a confused look. His face changed. He is happy? Ecstatic, I would say. 'Cause he is smiling weirdly at me.

"Stop pouting, Melissa. Of course I remember you." He chuckled. That makes me lighten up a little. I adjusted my sitting arrangement to formal-like. I looked down at my stomach. My heart starts to pound wildly again. Shivers went down my spine. But then, I could feel someone beside me.

Chris...

He looked at me with a concern look. He placed his big, warm hands at my shoulder. He then asked me, "Are you okay? Your face turned pale as if you've seen a ghost." I touched my face after he say that. I cleared my throat. I have to tell him anyways. What could be worse?

"I'm pregnant... And I'm sure it's your child I'm carrying."

There, I said it. I waited for his reaction. He let go of his hands that he placed at my shoulder.

"You're lying." His voice is cold. "Tell me that you're really lying. I really can't believe this." I could hear that the volume of his voice rise a little. Shivers starts to go down my spine again.

"It's true.. I took different types of pregnancy tests and all came out positive." I managed to talk back to him.

"But that doesn't mean the child you're carrying is mine." He looked at me. His eyes are really dark. So, I looked down as I was too scared.

"After that night, I never slept with anyone. Except you."

"But, but I used a condom.."

"Not all protections can be 100% safe!" I bellowed. Why can't he just accept the fact that I'm carrying his heir? "If you don't believe me, why not both of us, go for a DNA test tomorrow. If it comes out to be true, then you just have to accept it."

He stared at me, like the way the girl he kissed stared at me a while ago. Speaking of that demon chick, should I ask him, who is she? I have the rights to be curious, right? After two minutes of having a staring contest with Chris, he replied with a simple 'okay' and went to his table, calling someone.

"Hey Nat, can you please cancel all appointments and meetings for tomorrow? 'Cause I have a family matter to handle." After the talk on the phone, he hang up. Before he could speak, I quickly asked him about the girl he kissed.

"Urm, sorry to ask.. But who is the demon chick you kissed just now?"

"Well, the demon chick that I kissed just now is Natalie. She is my secretary and also my girlfriend." He answered my question bluntly.

When he said the word 'girlfriend', I start to cough as if I choked on something. This time he didn't help or asked me whether I'm alright - Rude! He just shrugged and then sat at his office chair.

"If there's nothing more to say, please leave, Miss Evans. I see you tomorrow at National Hospital at around noon." Without saying 'goodbye', I left his office with a loud slam when closing the door. Anger starts boiling up inside me. I hate this feeling. I hate getting angry at Chris, but he deserved it for being too cocky.

If I didn't meet Chris in the first place, maybe I could live happily instead of suffering on carrying his heir. 'We will meet again, Mr. Cortes and settle this problem. Once and for all.' I murmur to myself when I left the building.

--------------------------------------------------
Hey guys! Sorry that I didn't upload chapter 4 as quickly as a usual. I was sick for the past few days and yes, I have to rest. Now I'm backkk, I guess. Anyways, pardon my grammar or sentence structure 'cause I'm too lazy to read through again and edit it. But make sure you vote and comment! Also ask your friends to read this book. That will appreciate a lot!

Love, Nora xx