Flicker ; Prologue

Start from the beginning

Unable to form any words, Taylor nodded quickly, and with a blinding smile, the stranger sat down beside her, a glimpse of her perfume getting inside of Taylor's wide nostrils. The woman had beautiful golden hair, obviously dyed, and sparkling green eyes lied on Taylor's face as their gazes finally met. The stranger — who had yet to introduce herself — seemed out of breath, and Taylor let her eyes wander lower. She was wearing a grey pantsuit, something that seemed unusual for a woman to wear at a wedding, but it seemed to suit her perfectly. Her legs were incredibly long, and they almost didn't fit behind the pew in front of them; Taylor almost felt bad for her.

"Are you here for the bride or the groom?" the woman asked. She unbuttoned her blazer, the gentle movement of her hands and the heart shaped embroidery attracting Taylor's wide eyes to her chest. The stranger seemed to be quiet fit, and the blonde tried not to let herself get distracted by the tight fabric enveloping her arms.

"Bride," she replied with an easy smile. She was good at socializing. She has never been a shy girl; always telling others what was on her mind and her honest opinion. All of her friends appreciated this trait of her character, but sometimes she went too far; if only she could learn to bite her tongue and think before opening her mouth sometimes. "What about you?"

The stranger let out a breathy chuckle. "Where do you sit when you're friends with both?"

"I guess that that is a problem, then," she said dryly.

The woman laughed quietly; there was a bit of chatter floating around the church, the wedding not having started yet. Green eyes analyzed her briefly, before a question slipped out of the stranger's mouth, "What's your name? It's strange that we have never met. Usually, Jourdan introduces me to all of her friends."

Taylor's brows furrowed together at the name. She briefly chuckled, glancing down at her purse before looking up again. "Jourdan?"

The stranger nodded. "Yeah," she replied. "The bride."

Taylor's entire world fell upon her. She wished the ground would open and swallow her whole, because the embarrassment she felt at the clarification made her whole face burn red. That is why she hadn't recognized any of the faces that surrounded her. That is why the wedding hadn't started yet. She had been sure, when she had gotten inside the taxi, that she would have been late for the ceremony. But now, she's not so sure if it's worse being late or not even showing up at your best friend's wedding.

Taylor shook her head, about to get up and leave without looking back, but then, the bells finally rang, and everyone stood up as the bride walked down the aisle with an emotional smile. When Taylor looked at the spouse, to her horror, it wasn't Abigail. She had wished for the stranger to be at the wrong wedding, not the other way around. Perhaps, in her rush, she had said the wrong address to the taxi driver. How could this happen?

"Oh no," Taylor whispered, unable to look at the breathtaking bride and cover her embarrassment. The stranger glanced at her. "Oh no,"

"What's wrong?" she asked in a whisper. Taylor gripped her purse tightly.

"This is not the wedding I was supposed to attend!" Taylor replied in a worried whisper. The stranger's eyes widened at that, and the buzz of Taylor's phone interrupted their panicked staring contest. When the bride walked by their pew, the taller woman smiled at her, and the blonde put the most forced smile on her face, almost looking crazy and out of her mind.

When everyone was finally able to sit down, Taylor frantically looked for her phone inside her purse, grabbed it and read the incoming message. Where are you? The wedding has already started!, it said. The blonde wanted to slap her own face, or at least slam it against a hard wall, because how could one person be so stupid?