Ephemeral (Hyunjin)

Here's a little angst, because although that genre got me feeling things, it's still a great one

-------------------------------------------------------

"Come on dear, we can't be too late" My mom scurries in the kitchen stuffing the cut up watermelon in a big container. We were going to the beach! Hyunjin and his mommy are coming too and we're going to build sandcastles and play in the water and eat ice cream. I can't wait >.<

I sit on my porch playing with my dog until I see Ms Hwang's minivan pull into our driveway. I run into the house, alerting my mom as she packs yet another tube of sunscreen.

"She's here? Oh great I still haven't packed the extra blankets"

"MOM we're going to be under the sun, why would we need blankies." I dead pan and pull her arm to the front door, trying to get my message across. A smiley woman walks through our door with a small kid with a black mushroom cut. I smile and pull my bestest friend Hyunjin into a hug. He eagerly hugs me back and when he shows his smile, I see a missing front tooth. Hyunjin and I literally grew up together since we came out of the womb. Our moms were college friends, and then they miraculously got pregnant at the same time. So yea, Hyunjin is my other half. Me being the only child and a clueless 7 year old, I often get lonely so I hang out at his place a lot.

Our moms are talking and I take Hyunjin into my room for a quick minute. I was dying to show him my new lego set, because he loves lego and his eyes immediately widened when he saw the box. Right when I was about to brag about the brick count, my mom called and we raced downstairs, him always winning cause he was a teeny bit taller. I grabbed him by the dog tag around his neck and pulled him back, giving me momentum to run forward, so I won. Hah. We eventually started putting stuff into the trunk of his mom's minivan because we were all going to go in Ms. Hwang's vehicle. I hugged my dog goodbye as we gave her to my neighbours and at last I get into the backseat with Hyunjin. The beach is around an hour and a half away, so we play around for the first hour, till Hyunjin gets sleepy and his tiny head rests along the head rest.

So cute hehe, I coo as I watch his tiny breaths elevate his chest, going upwards then down. I reach over cautiously and undo the dog tag necklace he always wears for some reason. Even when we go swimming, he has it on. So I pull it on and fasten it around my own neck, unaware that I was slowly drifting into a sleepy demeanor.

We get to beach and my mom is attempting to shake us both awake. I get up first, rubbing my sleepy eyes, but it immediately wears off and I'm suddenly excited, so I unbuckle my seat belt and jolt out of the car, feeling the warm air and sunshine on my skin. I see Hyunjin's mom stick her head in the trunk taking the things out. I notice that she stopped her car at around the top of the hill where the other cars are parked. Hyunjin's still in the car sleeping, and when I close the door, and no one is taking stuff out of the trunk anymore, the car starts rolling a bit on it's front wheels, then the back ones start rolling. My eyes increasingly widen, and the first words out of my mouth are "THE CAR"

The mothers turn back at my sudden outrage, and suddenly I hear stuff drop and Ms. Hwang running towards the car that's now gaining speed. Before she can even touch it, with all it's doors except the trunk open, the car zooms down the hill, onto a nearly empty road, and beyond the road, is a small sightseeing place that is several feet above the water, with no fucking rails or anything. So I just watch in silence, miserable deafening silence, Hyunjin's mom's car drive off of the platform and disappear. I can't even breathe, and suddenly my mind turns blank and I just want to jump in after the car. I hear a scream that could wake up the dead, and that's Ms. Hwang at the edge of the platform, just witnessing the most horrid sight a parent could ever see. A bunch of people are watching and a lot of them run after the car, some with their phones out calling for emergency help. The drop is far too steep to jump from right there, so a man runs down to the shore and dives into the water. I can't watch anymore since my head, my heart and my soul all just left me incapacitated. The last thing I feel physically, is my hand gripping the dog tag wrapped loosely around my neck. My vision blurs as I feel my legs give out, and before I know it, I'm falling in my own abyss.