Then Kiss Me Again- James Potter x Reader

You woke up to soft light drifting through your window. Your eyes slowly fluttered open to be greeted with the pleasant sight of golden rays casting though your room. Dust that had been revealed by the shine swirled majestically through the air as if dancing to the floor where they would die until being reincarnated by movement once again.
You hummed smoothly sitting up and bringing your hand to your eye rubbing away the nights sleep as you released a wide yawn.
You slipped out of bed, your warm feet cooling on the wooden floor as chills broke your smooth skin into bumps. You walked to the bathroom, glancing at the mirror and grimacing.
You quickly washed your face and brushed your hair and teeth before deciding what to wear for the day. You exited the room only to notice something you hadn't before. Everyone in your dorm was gone. You thought that at least a few people would sleep in on a Saturday.
And then it struck you. It wasn't a Saturday at all. It was Friday. Which meant that you were already 15 minutes late for your class.
Your eyes went wide panic filling you as you swore loudly crashing to your dresser and changing into your robes. You then gathered your things in a frenzy, mentally and verbally cursing your roommates for not waking you. You were going to unleash hell when you saw them next.
You stumbled down the stairs and out your common room door. You would simply have to skip breakfast today. You sprinted to the dungeons ignoring the protests you drew from those you passed.
You finally reached the classroom banging open the door loudly and scrambling inside.
"I am so sorry professor. I overslept and I-"
You stopped when you noticed every pair of eyes in the room on you. You gulped nervously, feeling heat rush up your neck.
"It's quite alright my dear." Slughorn spoke kindly.
Your surprised eyes immediately flicked back to him, "Really?" You asked in disbelief.
"It is your first time ever being late, I can let you off with a warning." He smiled, relief washing through you.
"Thank you so much." You sighed gratefully.
"Now take a seat so I may continue with the lesson." He said gesturing to the students who were still watching the interaction.
You blushed mumbling another thank you before heading towards your usual seat next to Remus. Yet when you reached it, it was already occupied. A fiery redhead sar in your place refusing to meet your eyes.
A frown quickly took your face. You glance at Remus who sent you a sympathetic shrug and then looked back to the front of the room.
You glanced around the room searching for an empty seat. When you found it you suddenly realized why your usual seat had been stolen.
James Potter sat alone at his desk looking quite annoyed as he glared into the back of Evans head. You sighed heading to the seat and plopping into it, dropping your bag recklessly onto the floor beside you.
James turned to you smiling in amusement, "May I ask why a Prefect was late?" He mocked gesturing to the badge clipped on to your robes, its bright P shining in the dim candlelight.
"This actually stands for 'Pull your head out of your ass Potter.'" You shot back, not wanting to put up with his bullshit.
"So rude y/l/n." He gasped placing his hand on his chest in offense.
You rolled your eyes sighing, "Being around you really makes me pity Evans."
His eyes flashed for a moment before his face was taken over by an impressed frown "Touche." He shrugged.
You turned your attention to the front of the class attempting to tune into what Slughorn was saying. These struggles failed quickly when you suddenly felt an ache of pain in your vacant stomach.
Hunger consumed you quickly making the lesson go in and out of your mind.
You heard your stomach groan and found yourself wishing for your seat next to Remus once again. He always had chocolate or something with him and often shared with you.
Your stomach grumbled again and you grimaced silently praying for this lesson to be over so you could find some food.
"Hungry y/l/n?" James mocked before pulling a granola bar from his bag.
Your eyes immediately snapped to it, like a dog to a piece of meat. You could feel your organs silently begging for the food he wove in front of your face.
"Come on Potter don't be an asshole, give it to me." You said sternly.
"I am very good at being an asshole." He shrugged.
"Can't argue with that." You mumbled, "Can you just give it to me."
"I don't know." He hummed in amusement, "I'm a bit famished myself."
"Isn't famished a bit of a big word for you Potter?"
He glared at you before opening the wrapper, eyes still locked on yours and taking a bit out of the granola bar. He chewed loudly, making a point of it, before swallowing and letting out an exaggerated sigh.
If looks could kill James would currently be six feet deep. But since they cant he was smirking back at you bringing the bar back up to his lips.
Before he could place it in his mouth you leapt upon him snatching the bar from his hands and stuffing the whole thing into your mouth.
"Y/l/n, Potter! What on earth is going on?" Slughorn bellowed.
The whole class turned to see you halfway on top of the boy, mouth completely filled, James staring at you with looking both astonished and impressed by your actions.
You attempted to apologize but nothing but muffled hums would manage through your full lips. Your face splashed with crimson as you re organized yourself into your seat.
James burst into laughter at the sight earning a punch to the shoulder, "She's most certainly sorry professor." He spoke smugly, "She's just struggling to say so." He added slapping your back causing your hand to shoot to your mouth to keep you from spewing the granola bar you were currently attempting to swallow.
You felt your face wash red once again and you flipped off the boy beside you. He responded with another slap on the back and your hand once again flew to your mouth.
Slughorn sighed before returning to the lesson. You finally swallowed before turning triumphantly to James.
"Thank you very much for breakfast Potter." You snickered.
"How did you possibly see that as a win?" He asked with a chuckle.
"I wanted food, I got food." You smiled proudly before adding, "With no real consequences."
"Your so weird." James scoffed rolling his eyes in amusement.
"Thank you." You grinned cheekily before turning your head back to the front.
"For next week's assignment you will be studying, collecting ingredients for and then creating a potion."
You groaned along with the rest of the class, that was a lengthy project, that not one of you wanted to do.
"Now the project won't be due until next month because some potions take a month or so to create."
"Thank Merlin." you heard James mutter beside you
"You will also be working with a partner."
Instantly your eyes flew to the back of Remus' head and soon he turned around to lock eyes with you, nodding in silent agreement of partnership.
But unfortunately your professor continued, "Your partner will be the person you are seated next to."
"No!" You wailed throwing your head onto the desk in front of you, earning the attention of most of the room.
James let out a snort at your despair, "Am I truly that terrible." He asked feigning offense.
"Yes." You glowered. "Yes you are."
James only smirked before snatching the envelope sent by your professor from the air. He opened it scanning the words before turning back to you. "It says we have Vi-reti-ium." He said spelling out the last word slowly and incorrectly.
"Its Veritaserum dumbass." You scorned, "It is also a very complex truth potion."
"It can't be that bad." James shrugged. You rolled your eyes before snatching your potions book form your bag and looking up the name in the index. You flipped to the correct page and shoved the book at James.
He scanned the recipe eyes widening at its length and complexity.
"Shit." He mumbled.
"Yeah, shit" You huffed before glancing back down at the recipe. "When's the next new moon?"
James thought for a moment "Four days."
"Ok, meet me in the library after dinner so we can start gathering ingredients, we need to have them by then." You explained while placing your book back in your bag.
"Got it." He confirmed but his eyes were locked on a certain redhead who was leaving the room.
You sighed rolling your eyes, "Don't be late Potter." You muttered before turning and disappearing into the crowd of students exiting the classroom.