Different- Teddy Lupin x reader

You were different. That was no secret, since the moment you walked on to Platform 9 ¾ everyone had known you were different. No one knew how they knew, they just knew.
When you walked onto that train surrounded by terrified first years without a fear in the world, Edward Lupin fell in love with you. Of course at 11 years old he had no clue what love was, he just knew you were unique, and he liked it.
Teddy had looked for 20 minutes to find your cabin, and when he did, you merely glanced at him and asked, "What do you want?"
When he replied explaining how he wanted to sit there you simply shrug your shoulders as he took a seat.
The next time he and everyone else in that hall realized you were different is when they called you up to be sorted.
McGonagall yelled, "Y/n y/l/n!" And you had skipped up to the hat a sly smirk plastered on your face. You plopped yourself into the seat, still smirking and waited.
The hat took it's time, 3 and a half minutes to be exact, to put you in a house. Your smirk grew fainter and fainter with every passing second.
When the hat belted, "Hufflepuff!" And a chorus of cheers erupted from the black and yellow table, Teddy was terrified. The look on your face was that of pure hatred, loathing and fury. Teddy feared for his life.
You stood up thrust the hat into McGonagall's hand and stomped to the recently cheerful and now confused table. You plop yourself down as far away from anyone as you could.
Teddy was called up soon afterward and nervously ascended to the hat. He sat down with a bit of a smile and waited. It took a few seconds of muttering before shouting, "Hufflepuff!"
Teddy was elated as the table erupted with cheers. When he neared the group he changed his hair to bright yellow with black stripes and the cheers grew louder. He smiled wide until his eyes landed on you.
Your head was down, your y/h/c hair sprawled across the table. You were definitely not cheering with joy.
Teddy had once again swallowed his fear and sat across from you. The motion caused you to look up meet his hazel eyes.
You raised both your eyebrows and pressed your lips into a thin line. Teddy broke into a toothy smile, "I'm Teddy." He stuck out his hand.
You rolled your eyes and let your head fall back into the table. Teddy frowned and dropped his hand. He had never been more intrigued by someone in his life, what was your deal?

Now as Teddy watched you entered the potions classroom, your eyes grew brighter and the touch of a smile grazed your lips. He wished to see that smile more often, it made his heart flutter and his knees go weak.
"Alright." Slughorn said pulling Teddy out of his daze, "Today we are studying the Draught of Living Dead potion."
"Great, kill me so I can get out of this lesson." Teddy snickered.
"Contrary to popular belief Mr. Lupin," Slughorn glared at the boy, "The Draught of Living Dead potion does not kill you. Does anyone know what it does?"
Many hands shot in the air and Teddy looked down, embarrassed.
"Ms. Y/l/n?"
"When someone drinks the Draught of Living Death potion, they go into a deep sleep so strong that they appear to be dead," she paused for a moment before adding "hence the name, living dead."
Teddy scoffed, attempting to ignore the color creeping onto his face. "Wouldn't that still get me out of this lesson?"
"I suppose." Slughorn drawled. "Anyway, we are going to make some today, flip to page 245 to see the recipe and get started."
Teddy began to gather ingredients as his desk mate, Ash Winpicker, found a cauldron.
As the two went on they had to restart the potion 3 times, not because they didn't know how to do it -in fact both boys were quite bright- but because Teddy preferred his performance as the class clown than doing work and Ash was welcome to help.
Finally when Teddy turned his head into an Asian Dragon to "collect hair for the potion" Slughorn had had enough.
"Mr. Lupin! You are disrupting the whole class." Slughorn seethed.
"Just doing my job sir." Teddy saluted him throwing the professor a wink.
"Mr. Lupin, please switch spots with Ms. Hetler."
Teddy groaned snatching his stuff turning around to see Monica Helter taking his spot. He walked towards the front and nearly choked on his saliva when he saw his new seat.
There you were, you y/e/c glaring him down.
"Hey y/n." He choked out.
"Lupin." You growled, lips pursed.
Teddy sat down mentally cursing himself.
After a few seconds of silence Teddy cleared his throat.
"Don't we have to, you know, make the potion?" Teddy asked gesturing to the cauldron.
You let out a snort, "Well you see, when you actually do work, you tend to finish the potion."
His eyes went wide, "You're already done?"
"Yep." You said making the 'p' pop on your lips.
"H-how?" The young boy stuttered out.
"Well, you see it's called working," you smiled sarcastically, "you should try it some time."
Teddy blushed, his hair flashing crimson before returning to the sapphire blue he had adopted over the past few years.
He glanced at the potion to notice the continents looked exactly as described in the book; it was a light lilac color and the consistency of water.
Teddy let his eyes fall back onto you. You had your head bowed over, your y/h/l y/h/c hanging in your face as your y/e/c eyes were glued to the glowing screen held in your hands.
Smirking, Teddy leaned over and tapped you on the shoulder, "Hey Y/n."
"What." You snapped lifting your head to greet his hazel eyes.
"I don't think phones are allowed." The Hufflepuff smiled raising an eyebrow.
"And I don't think I care." You hissed back.
The boy was about to throw another snide remark when he saw Slughorn out of the corner of his eye.
Teddy promptly snatched your phone from your hand ignoring your protests.
"Mr. Lupin, do you have a phone out in class?" Slughorn bellowed noticing the small device.
"Ummm yes professor sorry." Teddy said looking up at the teacher apologetically.
"You know that is a violation of school rules," the frustrated professor said snatching the device from his hands, "You can get this back when you see me in detention at then of this week and I will be expecting to see you every night until then."
"Yes professor." Teddy mumbled.
"Also 15 points from Hufflepuff."
Every Hufflepuff in the room groaned, well not every. During this whole conversation you sat there wide eyed mouth agape as you watched Teddy Lupin take the fall for you.
When the conversation ended you stared at the boy so confused and surprised you couldn't get yourself to do anything but stare.
Teddy looked back at you blushing a bit and biting his lip.
Finally you managed to speak, "W-why?"
"What?" Teddy asked glancing at you again.
You cleared your throat and blinked a few times. "Why did you do that?"
"Wouldn't want to ruin your Ms. Perfect reputation would we?" Teddy mocked.
"Please no one thinks of me as 'ms. perfect'" You scoffed.
"Slughorn does" he shrugged.
You exhaled loudly and tried to forget about it. He was just, being compulsively nice for some reason. After all he was a true Hufflepuff.