Chapter 8 - Preparing for what's to come - part 2

Start from the beginning

"Come on, Hannah! Bye, Dad, love you!" she said, kissing him swiftly on the cheek and hurrying out, Hannah on her tail.

Zarias was gathering information from one of the few Umbras that had returned from their mission. The rest had been destroyed, the Umbra told him. He had expected that to happen. What the Umbra told him next, however, made him listen more intently. Two of them had combined their powers and the result had been incredibly powerful, even he could tell. He had no power of his own, but his father had shown him how to distinguish great power. Of course, he's known the element masters were powerful beings and not to be taken lightly... but these were just children! Could they already master their power that well? No. It had been luck, that was all... He sent the Umbra on his way and went towards his father's throne room.

"What is it Zarias?" he asked coldly.

"The umbras have told me of something I think you will find interesting."

Zorak doubted that, but raised an eyebrow nonetheless.

"Very well. But be brief."

Zarias cleared his throat.

"Do you recall the former incarnations of the elements combining their powers?"

Zorak frowned.

"I cannot say that I do. Why do you ask?"

"Because it appears the new ones have that ability."

 Zorak blinked.

"What in the realm are you talking about?"

"The umbras have witnessed it," Zarias insisted. "The Guardian of Light and the fire guardian did so this very day."

"Really? And what does that change for us?"

"Well, the Umbras say that it increased their individual strength."

"There is nothing unusual or strange about that," Zorak said disdainfully. "Of course numbers increase strength."

"What I mean is we hadn't expected that. Which would explain why the Umbras haven't been able to get those humans to us before."

Zorak paused, thoughtful.

"Hmmm. That means we'll need a new plan," he said. "One that will succeed."

When Andie arrived after leaving Hannah at her school, everyone was already going inside. She grabbed her bag and headed in after them. Her entire body protested vehemently, but she ignored it. She only just made it in time and sat down panting slightly. She didn't have any classes with any of the others, that morning. She would have preferred not to spend the next four hours by herself, but it couldn't be helped.

So she tried to keep her mind off things and focus on her classes. Of course, that proved next to impossible. Between the attack and her combining her powers with Bane, she was a mental mess. Especially because in that moment, there was no denying that they had connected, somehow. Their powers had gone from one to the other and Andie didn't think you could get any more connected to someone. But did she want that with Bane? Was she happy about it? She tried answering that question all morning. And by the time she reached the cafeteria later, she still hadn't figured it out. She saw them talking together cheerfully. She didn't want to ruin the mood. So she took a deep breath and put a smile on her face as she walked towards them with her tray.

"Hey, guys," she said.

"Hey!" Bane smiled, moving to the next seat to give her room.

Andie hoped he didn't notice her slight hesitation before sitting down.