Chapter 30: A Moment

Dale pulled the car up to Anna's apartment. The car ride was silent, neither one of us had spoken since leaving the woods he had found me at. I looked down at my wrists, a bandage wrapped around the one wrist. I pick my head back up and turn to slowly glance at Dale.

"What do we do now?" I ask, my breaths uneven. A heavy sigh escapes the blond haired boy as he grips the steering wheel a minute and then lets his hands sink to his lap.

"All we can Y/N," Dale whispers, slowly moving his head over so that our eyes lock. I nod looking away, out the front of the window. "I'm just glad we got to you and didn't lose the car you were in." I nod, biting my lip.

"Me too." I was thankful. I don't know what I would have done if they hadn't followed and I wouldn't of been saved. Who knows what would have happened..

"Head on in, Brent took Anna here so she should be up-" The boy paused reaching into his pockets. I watched him a moment to see him pull out his cellphone. I nod and grab my backpack opening the door then climbing out. I shut the door and slip the backpack on while walking up to Anna's room. And soon I make it, gently bringing up my arm and knocking several times on the door. Within moments the door opened revealing Brent. Sadness filled my eyes but I gave him a small smile as his brown eyes looked me up and down, before pulling me in.

"You alright?" He asks, placing his hands on my shoulders. I nod at his question, as his eyes switch back and forth between my Y/E/C ones. Silence fills the air and I quickly look away to notice Anna coming out from her bedroom. A bandaid on her forehead. My eyes softened seeing her lips curve up a bit, a small smile she gives me. I give her one back looking back to Brent who removes his hands. "I'm glad Dale got to you and I'm glad that nothing else had happened." Brent takes a step back from me shoving his hands into his pocket. "But now we have to be on much more high alert."

"Meaning?" I question slipping off my backpack and setting it off to the side. Brent watches my movements, I could feel his eyes same as Anna's. I lean back up, locking my eyes with Brent's.

"Meaning we'll have police officers or detectives surrounding this apartment at all times." I bite my lip, moving my eyes away from the boy's, now focused on the ground. "Don't think you two are a prisoner though. It's for your protection especially yours now too Anna. They didn't have to do it that way." I slowly lift my head up looking to Anna who leans against the wall, her arms crossed over her chest, just nodding her head up and down. Before anyone could speak, my phone began to vibrate. I quickly reached into my pocket and pulled it out. Charlie's name popping up onto my screen.

"Sorry, I have to take this," I say, walking past Brent and past Anna taking a whiff of her vanilla scent. I bite my lip, passing her and walking into her bedroom, before hitting answer. "Hey Charlie."

"Hey, you still at Hailee's?" Charlie asked, a sad tone in his voice.

"Yeah, why? Everything alright?" I respond. A heavy pause fills the air, followed by a soft sigh from my uncle.

"Yeah, everything's fine Y/N. Just miss you." Tears well up in my eyes and I shake my head.

"I miss you too Charlie. I promise I'll come around shortly. I really just need to finish this project."

"Alright. Hey Y/N. I love you." I bite my lip and close my eyes, dropping my head.

"I love you too Charlie." I take a moment, regathering myself before I continue speaking. "Hailee's calling for me. I'll talk to you soon Charlie. Say hi to Griffin for me will ya? I love you, bye." I pull the phone away from my ear once I hear him say goodbye. I hit the end call button and slip the phone back into my back pocket. I bring my hands up to my face wiping and rubbing at my eyes. Soon after I walk through the door and walk back out to the living room to find Anna just shutting the front door and locking it. I walk over and stand in the middle of the living room. "Anna..." The tiny brunette turns around, the band aid catching my eyes once again. Quickly I walk towards her as she walks towards me. Our bodies collide and my arms wrap around her as her's does mine. I hold her and lay my head on her shoulder. Until we pull apart and our lips lock. The kiss soft and delicate.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered as I pulled away and rested my forehead on hers. I felt her head shake back and forth. I lift my eyes up finally meeting her beautiful ocean blue ones.

"You have no control over it," Anna whispers back. "I'm just glad you're alright." A small smile slides to my lips shaking my head. We stood in silence, our foreheads locked together enjoying the moment we're in. Until that moment was ruined by Anna pulling away sliding her hands down to my hands, grabbing a hold of them. "Your wrists are bruised..." I look down noticing my wrists. Red marks covered them, barely visible and I shake my head.

"I'm okay..I'm okay." I squeeze her hands in my own, reassuring her as she nods, giving me a small squeeze back.

"They don't want you going to school tomorrow." I glance my eyes up, hoping to meet Anna's but instead her eyes stay fixed on our hands. I bite my lip nodding, even though she couldn't see. "I think it's for the best."

"Wait..you're going though?" Slowly the tiny brunette nods her head and I shake my head from side to side. 'What? No. I won't allow that."

"Won't allow it?" Her head slowly tilted up, soon our eyes locking. "Won't allow it? Y/N, you're not my keeper."

"Yeah but I care about you and you were just as much a victim as I was just an hour ago." I slowly pull my hands away, biting my bottom lip nervously.

"I know..I know but I have to show up. It'd be suspicious if both of us didn't-"

"Suspicious? Anna are you kidding?" I take a moment, my eyes darting back and forth between her blue ones, shaking my head from side to side. "No it wouldn't. You were held at gunpoint Anna! Gunpoint and then hit in the head. I think they'd understand if you needed a fucking day!"

"I get that Y/N. I get what you're saying, but Dale and Brent think it's best if I just go," the girl pauses a moment crossing her arms over her chest. "I'll be fine. The boys will be there, they're armed. There's going to be more security present there. It'll be fine."

"Okay and what if something happens to you?" Silence filled the air, I shoved my hands into my pockets and looked to the ground a moment. My eyes scanning the hardwood floor till I finally looked back up, locking with Anna's eyes that held tears in them. "I-I don't want to lose you Anna. I don't know what-" Before I could finish Anna's arms dropped from her chest and her legs ran towards me. Her hands grabbed my face, cupping my cheeks as her lips met mine. I couldn't help but kiss her back even if she did it to shut me up. Soon enough we pull apart. I open my eyes to meet hers. She pulls her head back a bit, but doesn't release her hands.

"...As long as I'm breathing you'll never lose me, Y/N."