Mend My Heart: Chapter 14

NOTE: I've made changes to this chapter in order to make the story PG-13 instead of R.

Enjoy!

Back to my usual spiel: comment, vote and fan if you like! Thanks!

________________________________________

"Wow, this is totally you," I laughed and held up the pink tutu and bunny ears. Adrian made a face and I put it back.

I know what you're thinking. We shouldn't of ditched school, blah, blah, blah. Well, I needed a break, alright? I just got bitch slapped!

"How about some smoothies?" Adrian suggested.

"Hell yes! I haven't had a mall smoothie in forever!" I said excitedly. We made our way to the smoothie stand and bought two strawberry smoothies.

"Mmmm," I cooed as we walked back to Adrian's truck. As we walked and drank (drank, ate? I'm not really sure) our smoothies, I realized I didn't know all that much about Adrian. Yeah, I'd gotten to know him but not really know him. "Hey, what's your favorite artist?"

Adrian looked at me. He put his hand on his chin in thought. "Hmm....Michael Jackson. Definitely."

I smiled. "Good choice. What's your favorite color?"

"Blue."

"Mine too!"

"What's your shoe size?"

"Thirteen and a half." He smiled. "Why the sudden interest in my likes, dislikes, and shoe size?" he asked.

I looked at my feet. "Well, I just wanted to get to know you better. Like, we know each other, but not like know each other. You know what I mean?"

He nodded and suddenly his hand was in mine. Wait, what? I thought confused. My mind started reeling. Was my hand sweating? Was I squeezing his hand? Was it too limp and I need to grip it more?

And a mini battle raged inside of me. Half of my brain and heart screamed Jake while the other part screamed Adrian. I felt like I was cheating on Jake with Adrian. But the fact was, Jake was dead. And eventually I had to move on. The only problem was, I didn't want to move on from him. Jake was my world. My one and only. And it had only been three months! That's only, like, 93 days or something!

"So," Adrian began, "I have a proposition for you..." Silence. "How would you like to come help me work on the Comet today?"

I lit up, forgetting all about my hand situation. "Really? Yes, I would love to work on the Comet with you! That is such a beautiful car! When will it be operational?"

"Hopefully soon, with your help," he winked at me with his sexy green eyes.

Oh God, I t hought. I did not just think that, please tell me I did not just think that.

Admit it, I told myself mentally, you're attracted to him like you were attracted to Jake.

Where was my life going?

* * *

"Okay. We need the oil cooler, the exhaust pipe--that we should be able to find here--the transmission, and the radiator. The last two I might have to buy. You ready?"

A couple days after our mall escapade and working on the Comet until the wee night hours, he'd invited me to go to the junk yard with him to find some of the parts he needed.

It was a nice day, most of the snow was melted, and the temperature was high enough that I didn't even need a sweater.

"Ready," I said, nodding.