Mend My Heart: Chapter 21

Here it is readers! The chapter everyone has been waiting for! The action, the heartbreak, and most of all, the love...

Vote and comment if you like! Thanks for all the support! Only a few more chapters left and then it will be over! *tears*

____________________________

I found out that the bad feeling didn’t go away when I went back to school on Monday. I was standing by locker when I felt arms wrap around my waist.

I smiled and turned to Adrian. “Hello there,” I greeted, kissing him softly on the lips. There were no teachers around, so I knew I could get away with the PDA.

He kissed me back, a slight moan escaping his throat. “How was class?” he asked, pulling back.

“Well, I was partnered with the kid that picks his nose for my Chemistry project, I failed a pop quiz, and I dropped all my books in the hallway, making me late for class. So far, so good,” I said, shrugging like it was no big deal.

He laughed. “I’m sorry. Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?”

“Trust me. There are a lot of things you could do to make me feel better,” I said flirtatiously.

All students please report to the auditorium. All students report to the auditorium.”

I looked up at the intercom, then back at Adrian. “Why do they want us in the auditorium?” I wondered.

“I think a police officer is here for some drug-free conference,” Adrian said, rolling his eyes. He clearly thought it was a waste of time.

“Hey, it gets us out of class,” I pointed out.

“Touché,” Adrian agreed.

We made our way to the auditorium entrance, where students were packed. I spotted Tessa, Robbie and Clyde a few feet ahead of us.

“Tessa!” I called, waving them over. They pushed through the crowd towards us.

“Hi,” Tessa said, smiling. “Why are we going to the auditorium? Do you—hey!” she shouted as someone rammed into her shoulder, knocking her off balance.

I looked at the guy fighting his way through, bumping into people, and noticed it was that kid. The one that Connor and his goons picked on. And something about him seemed off. He was sweating, his eyes darting back and forth. Was Connor after him? I looked around. No, no Connor in sight. For now, anyway.

We walked into the auditorium, where students were beginning to sit in the bleachers and, because we had a lot of students, on the gymnasium floor.

“Hey, nerdy boy. Think you could get by without paying? Ten bucks and I’ll let you through.”

I turned to see Connor standing in front of the kid, his goons flanking him. Almost everyone had seated by then, with the exception of us, Connor and his group, and the kid. The police officer was setting stuff up, unconcerned by the standing students.

I looked at the kid and something in his eye warned me a second before it happened. I knew that Connor had taken one step too far. There was a flash of metal and suddenly a pistol was aimed at Connor’s chest. Connor stepped back, fear taking over his body.

The kid’s chin trembled and his eyes leaked tears. Then he aimed the pistol into the air and squeezed the trigger. Everyone screamed and ducked. The shot was loud and hurt my ears, but I shook it off. Adrian positioned himself in front of me, so that I wasn’t in the direct line of fire. Although I loved him for it, I wanted him to be safe too.