Mend My Heart: Chapter 9

Finally, some action between Adrian and Jamie! Although I like the next chapter the best, I really like writing this one too!

I know its a small chapter, but don't worry, the next one totally makes up for it!

________________________________________

Friday. The end of the week days. My favorite day in the whole week. The sun was shining, it was warmer than I thought it was ever going to be in a while. I hate the cold. Winter was the worst season. I was a summer baby. Born for the heat. Even if I don't tan at all and get really bad heat strokes.

Inside the house, I was washing dishes. I felt happier than I had in a long time. My parents were at work, I was alone in the house, listening to my One Direction C.D. My mom hated them. She called them "just another boy band" but I totally disagree.

I was currently in this weird cleaning frenzy. I rapidly cleaned the whole house: kitchen, living room, dining room, MY room, the bathrooms. For some reason, cleaning always upped my mood. A bit weird when you think about it.

The trash smelled terrible. Like dead fish and ass. So I decided to take it out before it got any worse. The trash can was located at the side of the house. It was a pretty big trash can with a thick lid.

Pro: It locked in most of the smell of trash.

Con: It still contained trash.

I struggled, pulling the bag out of the can, then tied it. I took one step and stopped. I looked down. Something had dripped on my foot....something black and liquidy.

"Ew, ew, ew, ew!" I squealed as I ran, holding the bag out in front of me as it dripped.

Outside, I flipped the lid to the trash, still squealing like a little girl, and threw the bag in there. I slammed the lid and exhaled deeply.

"That was fucking disgusting." I murmurered.

Then I heard the laughter.

I turned around. Leaning against the side of his house was Adrian. He had a shovel in one hand and a bag of salt in the other. He, by the looks of it, was shoveling the sidewalk to his back yard.

"What's so funny?" I demanded.

He smiled. "You are."

"I don't know what you're talking about." I stated, turning around to walk back in the house.

"Oh, come on! Don't leave me. We were just starting to warm up to each other. Stay out here and chat with me a while."

"Um, no thanks. I've got some house work to do."

"I don't believe that. School's been out for three hours. You're done with all the cleaning that could possibly need doing. Unless you've got messy siblings of course." Adrian put salt down and started shoveling what little snow and ice was left.

"I don't have any siblings. I'm an only child."

"Well, that's probably better. Makes you one of a kind." Adrian smiled.

I sighed and sat down on the steps leading into the side of my house. "So, what about you? Have any siblings? I've never met your dad either."

Adrian's face went slack. "No siblings. My dad was a dead beat who left his wife and kid. I don't talk to him and I never want to." 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up a touchy subject." I said sincerely.

"Ah, no matter. I'm used to it. Plus, now we're even." he smiled, giving me a knowing look. Of course he meant for bringing up Jake.

I couldn't help it. I smiled back a sincere smile. I was actually rather surprised. I hadn't smiled in such a long time, it felt weird on my face. Like it was a dream I had finally woken up from. Something about Adrian I liked, but of course I didn't want to admit it to him.

Adrian stopped shoveling and looked at me. "Hey, I've got a good idea," he ran a hand through his jet black hair, his green eyes sparkling. "Why don't we go out tomorrow and you can show me around town? You know, show me what's fun around here?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I...I don't know..."

"Oh come on! It'll be fun! And you don't have to call it a date. It's just a friendly gesture toward someone who is new."

"Oh, alright. What do you want to do? There's a really old movie theatre that is amazing. It's beautiful. Would you like to go there?"

Adrian smiled sweetly. "Sure. What time?"

"Um...eight? And then we can go putt-putting and get a bite to eat at this drive-through Mexican resteraunt I know. It's really good." I suggested timidly.

Adrian looked at me like I was nuts. "Putt-putting? You do realize that it's winter and snow is on the ground, right?"

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Yes. It's an indoor putt-putting coarse filled with neon lights and shit like that. It's pretty legit."

"Yeah, that sounds cool."

I stood up, a little chilly now. "Well, I'll see you tomorrow."

"See ya."

I stepped inside my house and closed the door.

What did I just do?