Well, Danny knew what response he'd like to give Tucker, but it would probably attract some attention and there would be legal consequences if he went through with that initial plan...

Honestly, he was still taking it all in.

"How could you-"

"Yes, I know." interrupted Tucker, holding up his hands. "It's the ultimate betrayal. And you feel betrayed." He winced. Ugh, using the same word as a noun and an adjective in two consecutive sentences. Bad move, Tuck.

He continued, "If you let me explain a little more, I hope things will get better for you." he shrugged. "Or not. But I only did this to protect you."

"Protect? Protect me?" Danny exclaimed, grinning in disbelief. "How on earth would chipping, er, tracking me or whatever the hell you want to call it be protecting me? And most importantly, without telling me?" He was starting to pace. "Do you not trust me or something?"

He froze in horror. "Is Sam in on this too?"

"No no no!" exclaimed Tucker waving his hands in a panic. "It was just me." He looked at Danny thoughtfully for a moment. "But that thought does reveal some insecurities that I had a feeling were probably there-"

"Just shut up!" Danny spat. "Explanation please. Now." Before I go ghost again and blow a hole in the sidewalk...

"I'm getting to that." Tucker replied patiently, as if he were addressing a three-year-old throwing a tantrum. He began:

After the night of the end, (as I like to call it), that night, on impulse I developed a serum with micro transmitters that would register when and where you went ghost again. I honestly didn't think you were serious at first. All those years of ghost hunting, just to throw it all away? No way were you going to keep that promise, despite my own wants to end our careers.

But you did. Tired of living in Amity Park and basically a world that still saw you as the ghost hero you no longer wished to be, assuming a new identity, a new life, seemed like the best option.

What made me do it wasn't that I didn't trust you. I came to realize that when you wanted to leave Amity Park. It probably was selfish, but I didn't want to quit, even if you did.

So I injected you with it, the night before you would leave for Laurel Copse with Sam.

And I knew, for a long time, probably, you would be happy, and you would try to forget everything we ever accomplished together.

Because that night, as I prepared to inject the serum, you were sleeping more soundly than I ever had seen you before. You were at peace.

Thinking back to that moment, I almost didn't do it. I didn't want to burden you with the possibility that it wouldn't last. But deep down, I knew it wouldn't. And I wanted to be there when you were ready to come back.

Tucker looked up at Danny solemnly, his eyes shiny.

"I'm sorry, Danny." he mumbled. "I just... didn't realize how much I'd miss it all."

Observing him now, Danny couldn't help but see the truth in Tucker's statements. He never quite fit in with the politician look. He had, in the past, loved to have a say in authority, but he had always looked more at home in the old headquarters, handling the tech and coordinating their missions.

The guy in the chair.

Danny couldn't stay angry at his friend of many years any longer. He put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"I know I don't really share your... fondness for what was in the past," he admitted, "But, you're right, I think I understand a little better now." he said, giving him a small smile.