Ema, just Ema

Mizu's Pov
The sound of my alarm woke me up and I groaned at the thought that I had to wake up earlier than before. I wish I could’ve stayed in bed just a tad bit longer but if I wanted to get up before Toshiro than it was a small price that I had to pay. He was still working at the gaming company and I heard him stumbled in late last night. I guess he had gone drinking with a couple of his coworkers but when did he not. I quietly snuck into the bathroom and began to get ready for school before heading back to my bedroom. I quickly applied my concealer and put my bracelets on my wrist. I had gotten them after going to Karaoke with Yusuke and Sora. I grinned as I began to reminiscence of the entertaining time I had with those two despite the fact that those two were the ones I would never shop with again. I swear they could go to stores for hours upon hours and if I hadn’t been stubborn I would’ve succumbed to a night without rest. I will admit that there was a small part that wished Ema would’ve been able to enjoy that night with me. My eyes went to my phone by my bedside and I ignored the urge of trying to call her and I quickly put the phone in my school bag then went to my dresser and put on a necklace before heading out of my room and leaving my room. I had a couple more days before we would be getting our grades back for the semester and then it would be a weeklong event of studying for the upcoming exam which would decide my fate of entering Meiji. If I didn’t get into Meiji than I’d have Higashi as my back-up plan which wasn’t good news for me as it was 6 hours away. If it weren’t for Higashi’s great program than there would’ve been no way that I would be trying to get into that college. My gaze went to the school gate where I seen Nishimura standing beside it while he waited for me. I had begun communicating with him back when we had the school festival along with the fact that he's been having lunch with me and everyone else.

“Good morning Nishimura” I called out to him as I hid my laughter as he looked up startled before he relaxed and grinned at me.

“Mizu you’re early again today” He stated and I gave him a pointed look as he sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck.

“Did you want to study again this morning or we could go to the cafeteria and get some breakfast first” He asked and I chose the latter as I could feel my stomach start to grumble.

“Let’s go eat first” I said as I followed after him.
---------------

The bell rang signaling lunch and I hurried over to Ema and gave her a hug before plopping into the seat next to her.

“You doing okay Chi,  you seem a bit distracted” I asked her as I pulled out my lunch. Imai came over and sat with us and Ema nodded.

“Yeah just waiting for the reports to get back” Ema murmured out and Imai perked up.

“Reports, I totally forgot about those. Oy Nishimura, are you going to just stand over there” Imai called out to Nishimura as he headed over to our small group.

“You guys brought your own lunches again, I thought were going to get something from the cafeteria” Nishimura asked as he stared at our lunches on the table.

“Yeah I forgot about that” I said as the other girls agreed with me and he groaned.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll go with you to the cafeteria” I said to Nishimura as Yusuke joined our group. I walked with Nishimura to the cafeteria and he grabbed a hold of my shoulder and peered down at me in concern.

“You okay Mizu” He asked and I nodded while I smiled up at him.

“Of course, why wouldn’t I be” I asked him and he shrugged.

“You’ve been distant this week especially whenever Yusuke sits with us. Everything okay between you two” He asked as my thoughts went back to when Yusuke and I that day we had gone shopping with Sora. I blinked my eyes a couple times before chasing those memories away and nodded.  Nothing important happened and Ema will be waiting for us if I don’t hurry with Nishimura.

“Don’t worry about it, it’s nothing important” I reassured Nishimura as we made our way to the cafeteria.
-------------
I changed out of my outfit and got back into my regular clothes before sitting down tiredly.

“It’s getting late Mizu, did you need a ride” Sachi asked worriedly and I shook my head.

“No I’ll be fine, have a good night Sachi” I replied to her as I grabbed my bag and waved at her then I exited the café before I seen Nishimura’s familiar figure waiting for me.

“This is a first for you, if I didn’t know you any better I’d say you were a stalker” I teased out to him as he rolled his eyes at me before plopping a hat on my head. I looked at him confused before he began to explain his reason to me.

“Every time I see you, you are never wearing a hat, I’m surprised you haven’t gotten sick yet” Nishimura grumbled out to me.

“Awww does Nishimura care about me” I joked out to him as he laughed before putting his arm around me.

“Of course I care about you, you crazy woman” He replied truthfully and we continued walking in a comfortable silence. It was easy to be around Nishimura and even though we hadn’t hung out in the longest time it was easy to get back right to where we were. If I were being honest with him it was relaxing to be in his presence. He was a friend to me and I didn’t have to worry about any weird feelings forming with him like I had when I was around the Asahina brothers.

“Any luck with Imai” I asked him and he sighed.

“She’s unaware of my feelings for her like you. She’s keeps trying to set me up with you” He said and I stopped as I began to laugh.

“I don’t get the joke but it was hilarious” I asked as I wiped a tear away and ignored the ached in my stomach from my laughing fit.

“Don’t tell me you hadn’t noticed” He stared at me with surprise written all across his face.

“Notice what” I said quite perplexed at his reaction. He shook his head in disappointment and patted my head.

“There, there you poor soul” He feigned his condolences as he continued to pat my head.

“Just tell me Nishimura I don’t have time to be playing 20 questions with you” I ordered out to him.

“Back then I had a huge crush on you and yet you were so unaware of my feelings” He casually stated.

“A crush… on me” I whispered out. I hadn’t even noticed or maybe I didn’t want to notice. All I cared about back then was being with Ema and getting away from Toshiro except Ema mostly took up my mind making it easy to chase away all thoughts of Toshiro and the past. Even now it’s still Ema helping me chase away any other thoughts I might have for others. I clenched onto the necklace Azusa had given me before releasing my hold onto it. No if I become aware of anything else than I won’t be able to take care of Ema. It’s just a necklace nothing else, I’m only wearing it because I like to wear jewelry.

“Don’t worry about it Mizu, I’ve gotten over those feelings and still plan to pursue Imai” Nishimura said and I nodded trying to forget the conversation.
“We’re almost to my place anyways, I’ll see you tomorrow” I subtly tried to ditch Nishimura and as I expected he smiled before saying goodbye to me. I entered the house and shut it before heading to my room and slid against the door. There’s no need to worry about unnecessary feelings. I have Ema and that's all I need. I breathed in and breathed out slowly before doing it again and again. Before I knew it I had closed my eyes and despite the fact that I would regret it in the morning I welcomed sleep.

I honestly don't know where I was going with this until I stopped typing but I got to say I kind of loved it. I hope there's not too much confusion about this chapter. If you guys have any questions just ask.