Chapter 13: Injured

It was warm, but dark. Shiro slightly moved. His entire body hurt. What happened to him? He left the apartment and found himself in a park... there was a little boy who hit him with a stone... he scratched him and ran... and then there was a loud sound but... what happened afterwards? He couldn't remember. 

There was sudden splitting headache and he grunted from the pain. He slowly opened his eyes but could only see blurry figures moving around him. 

The pain was awful but he also felt really tired. He really wanted to sleep. He heard some voices in the distance but he was too tired to care. He soon fell back to unconsciousness.

***

When he opened his eyes again, what he saw was...darkness. He blinked, but still couldn't see anything.  He moved his head left and right and determined that he was awake. Did he go blind?

"Mrieow?!" he jumped up from fright but soon fell down from feeling dizzy. His right side was burning and his head felt like it would burst in a moment. There was something wrapped around his chest but it was too tight and felt uncomfortable. Feeling restless he tried to stand up again when suddenly a low voice sounded near him.

"Don't move."

Something lightly pressed on his uninjured back and Shiro froze. Was there someone near him this entire time? He couldn't see anything and he started to panic 'Where am I? Who is this person? What will he do? No!'

"Mreowww!" he tried to wiggle under the hand that was holding him and the man (from the voice he could determine that it was a man) pressed down harder.

"Tsk." the man clicked his tongue and Shiro felt a sting in his shoulder. A cold liquid flowed in his veins and he slowly calmed down. He felt sleepy again but dared not to sleep unless he knew where he was.

But he could do nothing, he couldn't even saw the place. The man said nothing, but Shiro felt the pressure slowly fading from his back and it seemed that the men left. There was complete silence.

'I should just sleep...' Shiro murmured in his mind and soon fell asleep again.

***

It was already the fourth day since Shiro woke up. After the initial fear he slowly accepted that he couldn't see anything.

He also realised that he seemed to be in a pet's clinic like place. The man was a veterinarian and there was only a few staff members in the clinic. From the voices it seemed like there was an older female receptionist, a security guard, and a female assistant.

Oh, and there was another annoying young man who seemed to be a trainee. The young man was constantly pestering Shiro when he was awake, trying to pet him or simply speaking for hours. During these days Shiro became easily irritated, with hissing and swiping his paw he tried to scare of the lively young man but to no avail. Fortunately, the vet who was treating Shiro seemed to realise the problem and forbid the young man from entering the room and gave him loads of work to do. Still, sometimes the young man managed to sneak inside and snap some photos of the clueless cat. 

"Winter, here's your dinner." 

Shiro didn't know how the hell did this man, named Galen, come up with this dog name, but at least it was better than the cutie pie, little fluffball and puffy (Hey! He wasn't fat just his fur was puffed up from anger) that the young man called him.

By the way, the young man was called Faine. Shiro learned his and the vet's name, when two days ago at night, the young man somehow managed to enrage the other and they happened to argue over something next to Shiro's door. He was too tired to care about anything but he still heard them saying each other's name.

Shiro opened his blind eyes to look in the direction of Galen's voice. His eyes were dropping but still managed to let out a low meow sound. He wanted to slowly stand up and move but with a sudden dizziness he swayed and chose to sat instead.

"You shouldn't move much." Galen's voice was somehow strange, like his mind was somewhere else, but the drowsy cat didn't really pay attention to it. 

Shiro felt a light touch on his back and relaxed. Waiting for the man to put the bowl in front of him, he carefully tasted the food inside. He let out a low sound of dissatisfaction when he tasted the canned cat food but it was still better than nothing. He didn't want to go on a hunger strike, because getting a feeding tube is simply terrible! And Galen would not care about whether he was picky or not. Eat. No? Then want to try the tube? No? Then eat. You have no choice.

Either way, he was exhausted and needed another nap. He wasn't anxious anymore, since he knew what was the problem with his eyes. He heard the other day, that he seemed to suffer from concussion when hit on the head. Afterwards he was nearly ran over by Faine's car. Luckily Faine had quick reflexes and managed to stop the car before something terrible would happen but still couldn't prevent slightly hitting the cat, hence the injuries on Shiro's body.

According to Galen, Shiro's blindness was just temporary, and he would slowly regain his vision. Due to the concussion he will be slightly irritated, have difficulty in walking and coordination, suffer from headaches and feel sleepy. But at least, he didn't feel nauseated. And when he slept, he couldn't feel the pain. Either way, he was a cat (werecat, but it's all the same) and it was not unpleasant to nap the whole day.

After he finished half of the food he already felt full and pushed the bowl away. Searching for the water bowl with his nose he found out, the usual place was empty.

"Mriowreow" 'Thirsty.'

He looked up where he imagined Galen to stand. Then he heard that the bowl was taken. He tilted his head, waiting for the water bowl but he heard the door closing and then silence.

'What happened?'

He waited for one minute, then two... Galen didn't come back. 

'Did he... forget about  me?' He started to feel sullen but suddenly halted in his thoughts. 

'Why do I have déjà vu?'

*Author's corner:

Author: Just a reminder. I don't have cats in real life (unfortunately) nor had a concussion so the symptoms and treatment are based on my imagination and the few things I could found on the internet.

Shiro: I give up. If it's depends on the Author Shiro will never have a happy life... *tries to hide in a corner feeling depressed but Galen grabs him*

Galen: You're injured.... *lost in thought again*

Shiro: ....Okay just put me down already!

Drake: I was forgotten...

Jake II: Serves you right!

Drake: ...