Chapter 7: It's not like I'm a protagonist

The door slowly opened, but there was no other movements from the entrance. Apart from the voices coming out of the TV, the whole apartment was silent.

'What is he doing?' Shiro perked up his ears. 'Why isn't he coming inside?' 

His question was soon answered when he heard some whispering coming from outside.  If not for a cat's sensitive ears he wouldn't have been able to hear two men's conversing in front of the door. But what was suprising that neither of them sounded familiar.

"Didn't they say that there's no one inside?!" asked one of them in a low voice.

Shiro froze. 'Who are they?' He felt a bad premonition.

"Impossible. "Answered the other. "That guy is surely in the hospital, I just checked 5 minutes ago. With that injury, he won't be able to get out for a while. And there's no way, he would let anyone in his house including his own family."

Shiro peeped out from his hiding place. 'So that stupid man got himself back to the hospital...? Hmpf. Serves him right! Jumping around with that kind of injury, if his condition worsens... What? No! I'm not worried at all. Not even  tiny bit! But...'

"Then tell me, what's that sound coming from inside?"

"Are you an idiot? Can't you hear it's just the TV? Bet he forgot to turn it off."

"Well... But can you imagine that guy sitting and watching TV at home?"

"Shut up and go!"

The door slowly closed and the two entered the apartment with soft steps. 

Shiro scurried inside the bedroom and hid behind the door. He looked at the two stranger warily.

One of them was short and skinny with brown hair while the other had a large body and swept-back blond hair. Both of them were wearing blue T-shirt and black pants in the same style and their faces were covered with white masks. In their hands they were  holding buckets with... cleaning supplies?

Shiro was confused. 'Huh? So are they just cleaners? But the cleaning staff had already come this morning. And apart from their uniform they don't look like cleaners...'

The two men stopped in the living room looking at the TV. The taller one took the remote control and turned off the device.

"See? It was just the TV. There's no one inside."

The shorter one sighed with relief.

"Since there's no one here, what should we do now?" While asking he swept his gaze across the the room then whistled. "Hey, This house's not bad. I wouldn't mind living here."

The other rolled his eyes.

"As if you would be able to afford it. Tsk. Rich bastards..."

"Well, after this work we would get a huge sum. We will be rich bastards too." The shorter grinned. At least it looked like a grin under the mask. 

'Scary!' was the first thought in Shiro's mind after seeing their greedy expressions.

"Heh, you bet. Let's split up and search all the rooms. I will go to the second floor, yours this floor."

"'kay."

'What the herring?! So they are really thieves!' Shiro watched as the two stranger searched through the rooms one after another.

(A: Sorry, i couldn't leave that out  >.< )

He was hiding under the bed when the shorter man appeared in the bedroom. He followed the man's figure with his narrowed eyes as the man carefully searched through the drawers, cupboards and even the hidden closet. Fortunately, he didn't look under the bed and after 5 minutes he left with empty hands. Everything in the room seemed untouched.