Chapter Fifteen • I Don't Care

You know I love you did I ever tell you? You make it better like that. Don't think we fit in at this party, everyone's got so much to say, I always feel like I'm no body, but who wants to fit in anyway?

'Cause I don't care, when I'm with my baby yeah, all the bad things disappear, and you making feel that maybe I am somebody, I can deal with the bad nights, when I'm with my baby yeah.

—————

~ A H M A D ~

—————

I continue standing by the door, waiting and bracing my ears from the blasting stereo sets that were playing a noisy number Abdul Ganiyy called the "hits of the year" in remixes. He was the one handling the music department and by how lively and raging the crowd of over thirty people were, that stammering nineteen year old was indeed a pretty good DJ. His lack of sight didn't take away anything from his musical talent and all these songs he has mixed up with booming beats as he expertly handled the turn table was proof of that.

Grace of course was here too together with her "Amazing Graces" dance group and they had helped a ton in bringing the party alive too. The constant applauses told me that eventhough she and the other five members were blind, the people who were watching them greatly liked what they saw meaning the Amazing Graces were pretty good dancers too.

Roland was here too, probably sitting somewhere where the crowd had gathered and so was Shakira and Mrs Akintola. In short, them and Michael Ebitoye were the only guests that were from my side while the others were all from an assortment of Mama's friends and some other people I don't even know.

I sighed as I pressed my back harder to the wall by the door, folding up on knee and resting it's sole to the wall. It was ironic that everyone had come, even the person I least wanted to be here was here; Khalid. They all were somewhere in the inner house doing God knows what, except for the one person I had agreed to do all this for; Jannah. But it was only an hour into the party so I hope that was soon to change.

She had accepted the invite that Friday night when me and Mama had gone to her house and now, it was past 4 pm on Sunday, the 29th of September 2019, a day that I was supposed to be happy about since it marks how I've miraculously lived to witness my 26th birthday after being in a plane crash a little less than four months ago.

I didn't mind when Jannah's mother had put forth a condition before she allowed her to come. That Friday night, Mrs Haroona had said that Jannah was only allowed to come if she comes together with Faisal. At first I had dismissed that there surely wasn't just one Faisal in the world, that Mrs Haroona was protective of her daughter and wanted her to come accompanied by her older brother who was a different Faisal than I had met on the day of Maryam's Janazah.

I knew Jannah has an older brother and automatically, I had assumed the Faisal her mother mentioned was him only for me to be brought to a rude awakening that put me in panic mode. Mrs Haroona said boldly and almost even daringly, that Faisal wasn't Jannah's brother, but he was her fiance. And that too, that same Blindy's brother Faisal Ibrahim that irked the hell out of me. What aspect of him qualified him to be Jannah's fiance? He was a sadistic and conceited human being and he didn't even deserve to be in her presence talk less of being her fiance.

Eventhough I feared how I would feel, I feared how I would react and I feared the reason she hasn't given me an answer up till now wasn't just because she was too distraught with Maryam's death, but because she was already in love and even engaged to somebody else, I didn't care about who she would come with as long as she just comes even if it be for a single minute. Just a single minute with her would be enough for me to show her what I truly feel, the promise I was willing to offer her. The box in my jacket pocket was waiting to be opened up and make a real proposal this time. It was clear that neither me nor Faisal were worthy of her but after that, she could decide which of us was the closest.