XII

Me and Paige sat at the table discussing holiday plans and doing something in memory of her son

Even though Paige had done something so fucked up to me, spending all this time with her reminded me of why me and her had grown close in the first place. Since Tiana and I's friendship was at a standstill I appreciated her company.

"Look, here it says we could get him a tree and tie a yellow ribbon around it. I've actually heard of that before."

She leaned over and stared hard at the laptop, before shaking her head no. "I appreciate all you guys have done for me but I can't ask you guys to plant a tree. That would be way too much."

I waved her off. "Girl, it's okay. I promise you. You deserve this."

She smiled a weak smile and looked pass me, indicating Javi had entered the kitchen.

She moved around the kitchen without saying 'good morning' to anyone and it was fine by me. I didn't necessarily want to make up with her but I didn't want to hear mom's mouth either.

"Javi, mom and dad are coming into town."

She stopped pouring the juice for a moment and looked up at me. "And? What that got to do with me?"

I rolled my eyes. "They're planning to stay for the whole holiday season and mom made it clear she wanted to see you and Ellie."

She scoffed, "Okay, once again Jeannie that's not my problem. That's yours. You're the one who run behind them. Not me. They can come and go for all I care."

"Whatev-

I couldn't even finish my sentence when a strong wave of nausea hit me. I ran quickly to the bathroom, almost not making it. I threw up everything in my stomach, whatever was in there considering the fact I hadn't eaten yet today.

Minutes later, Paige and Javi both rounded the corner with concerned looks on their faces.

Paige bent down to be eye-level with me and rubbed her hand up and down my back. "Hey, Annie, you okay?"

Javi sat down on the tub and handed me a damp wash-cloth. "Yeah girl, you alright?"

I took the wash-cloth and moved from the position I was in to sit cross-legged. Paige reached over me and flushed the toilet and I whispered a thank you to her. After wiping my mouth, I started to talk.

"I don't know if I'm okay or not. Lately, I've been feeling real nauseous. I was starting to think it was stress and nervousness from all that's been going on. It's never happened on empty stomach though."