.::Listen::.

Depuis le début

" w-wow. I like green day, blink, Nirvana, mayday parade, so many more."

"Those are all great bands," Ashton compliments.

"Then it's settled. Pop punk bands is our topic. Come to my house after school?" Ashton nods in delight.

He was going to his crush's house.

As soon as Calum got home, he ignored his parents argument, and rushed upstairs to his room. He logged onto his lab top, and learned a few basic words in ASL. When Ashton rung the doorbell, Calum looked in the mirror one last time, before stomping downstairs to See Ashton in an awkward looking conversation with his parents.

"Mom, dad, Ashton. Ashton, mom, dad. We gotta work now." Calum tugs on Ashton's hand (and just that gesture brought so much warmth, and excitement he thought his hand would fall off) and led him to his bedroom. When they were sitting on his bed, Calum signed 'Hi, Ashton.' In ASL. Ashton's hazel eyes lit up, and Ash quickly signs back 'Hello, Calum.' Calum signs 'what' and they both laugh until their stomach hurt, and Ashton swears he could watch the crinkles by Calum's eyes for hours.

They worked all weekend, looking up research, listening to different albums. Calum hadn't felt this happy in a long time.

They ended up getting an A on the project, and a certificate to graduate primary school.

They didn't talk much after that.

~^~

Calum spent all summer learning ASL, and actually got pretty decent at it. All the built up anger he had inside of him was slowly fading away. He couldn't wait to show Ashton.

But when he shows up at school his first day of Secondary to hear that Ashton is trying out homeschooling for a year, Calum runs straight home and cries his room for a week.

That's when Calum finally decided, okay, maybe Ashton isn't half bad.

*_*

In the seventh grade, Ashton went through puberty, and returned to northwest. Calum's hormones were all over the place, and when he and the curly headed boy were reunited, all he could think was.

'Dang he got hot'

What he didn't know was That Ashton was thinking the same.

'Thanks for leaving me' Calum signed, his ASL a bit rusty, but understandable. Ashton grins at Calum's attempt to communicate.

'Sorry, bro. I missed you though. Homeschooling sucks balls' Calum laughs, and pulls the boy into a hug, breathing in his scent.

'We can be friends now' Calum signed warily. 'But just remember, I'm an angry person, I might blow up on you.' Ashton nods.

'And I'm an happy person. If you get mad, I'll just shit glitter and rainbows on your head' they laugh, and laugh, that day signifying the first day of true friendship.

It's too bad that's the last time Calum sees Ashton grin, and hears his giggle For a while.

()()

In the eighth grade, Ashton's parents die in a car accident, and Ashton's forced to move in with his grandmother. When he shows up to school a month after it began, he doesn't smile, or run up to Calum, or even blink. He's lost, and determined that nothing can help find him.

Calum notices how Ashton begins wearing long sleeves every single day. Calum notices how Ashton's grades are slipping. Because Calum notices everything about the short boy, Ashton practically the only thing keeping Calum same.

'Let me see your wrists' Calum signs to him at lunch.

'No' he replied simply. Everyone knew better then to say no to Calum.
He grips Ashton's arms, and rolls his sleeves up. He gasps when he sees a straight row of deep, red cuts on each arm. Calum begins to cry then- and Calum never cries, Calum yells- and sobs into Ashton's shirt.