Chapter 4: unlikely friends

JOE

The next day it was my ninth birthday and everyone on the Titanic were very kind. I spent the majority of my birthday in the library and that really was that.

*14th April*

I woke up early today. Maddie, I and Eddie all went and had breakfast. The Captain stood up and everyone went silent.

"Today at 11.00 am there will be a church service for those of you wishing to continue having a Sunday Mass while on this ship. This will be for the 1st Class Passengers and second class passengers only." Everyone nodded. Ironically my family had never been the religious type and that was the same with Maddie so we decided not to go but instead we went to the bow.

**********************

"Hello William!" I say

" 'ello Joe." He replied look as if he had seen an animal die. I remembered then that he would be amazed that a 1st class passenger was trying to make a conversation with a 3rd class passenger such as himself. Even if the passenger in question was the same age as him.

Eddie and Maddie said hello to them and agreed that it would be alright if I played soccer with them while he and Maddie chaperoned us. We played until luncheon agreeing to continue our game after about 5 minutes rest. And we agreed that we play from then till it was time for them to have dinner.

At luncheon in the Cafe Parisian we were greeted by Mr. Andrews and Mrs. Astor who was still hiding her baby bump.

"How are you Edward?" asked Mrs. Astor

"I'm feeling Grand Mrs. Astor. How are you? And How are you Mr. Andrews?"

"I'm feeling well." Mrs. Astor replied

"So am I. How are you Miss. McCoy and Joe?"

"Simply Grand." Madeline answered

"Very well Thank you." I added

"Joe I know it was your birthday yesterday and I'm sorry I couldn't give you your present but I was rather busy. So here have it as a late birthday present." Mr. Andrews said handing me a model of the Titanic.

"Thank you sir. I'll treasure it forever."

"you're welcome."

After that we had luncheon and then I went back to my stateroom and placed my Titanic model on the desk. And went back to play soccer with my friends.

"Joe over here!" Eddie called. Eddie was now playing the game and Madeline just sat and watched us. Finally, it was time to go in to get ready for dinner. Don't get me wrong I loved playing soccer with William, John and Jack but after all that running around I was rather sweaty and I wanted to have a shower or a bath before dinner.

We arrived in the Grand Salon a few minutes late once again thanks to Madeline's maid taking a while to do Maddie's hair again.

"Sorry we're late again." Eddie said apologetically

"No worries Mr. Mason." Mr. Guggenheim stated.

"Let's eat!" Captain Smith declared.

"Yes let's. I am ravenous." Molly stated. I turned to Eddie but he was talking to Maddie so I turned to Mr. Andrews who was on my left side.

"Excuse me Mr. Andrews but what does 'Ravenous' mean?"

"Very Hungry." Mr. Andrews replied

"oh. Thank you."

"No problem."

And we proceeded to eat. Dinner this time was strange to say the least. It was as if a supernatural being or force had come into the once merry and joyous Grand Salon and took out all of the happiness. For once Mr. Ismay wasn't talking which as horrible as it is to say we were all relieved that he was quiet. Mr. Astor wasn't talking much. So feeling slightly awkward I just tucked into my food.

Another strange factor was that Molly wasn't telling any funny stories like usual. But the occasional time she did crack a joke or tell a funny short story we all laughed.

At last the dishes were cleared away we all stood up to go back to our staterooms or to have a late night stroll on the deck or the other men of our dinner group went to the smoke room but Eddie decided to take me and Maddie out onto the stern for a little while.

Once were out there and at a decent spot Eddie stopped and knelt down beside me and pointed to the sky.

"Look Joe can you see the dog star?"

"Nope."

"There he is . " Eddie pointed and moved his hand in the outline of a dog.

"Oh I see him now." I said

"And Joe you see those two stars there." Eddie whispered. I nodded "That's Mother and Father looking after us from up there. And No matter what happens to us they'll look after us. You understand?"

"Yes Eddie." I half-lied the part where he said that our parents were looking after us from up in the sky I understood that but the part I didn't understand was; Why was everyone been so sad? and Why was everyone saying things like this? We must've passed at least one third class couple and about 12 third class parent's with their children saying the exact same thing as Eddie had just said. I yawned.

"I think it is time we got someone to bed don't you think?" Maddie chuckled

"I do." Eddie agreed

"mhmm." I hummed in agreement. And we went inside.

Once in our staterooms we went to our bedrooms all exhausted from the day's events we went to sleep wondering what tomorrow will bring. Well Eddie and Maddie went to sleep i assume. But as for I tossed and turned I couldn't for the love of everything that is holy escape this feeling I had. The feeling like something was going to happen. Something bad. Very Bad.

I eventually convinced myself that I was just imagining this feeling I had.  After all I was on the Titanic.  And the Titanic was unsinkable.  So I was safe right?

Just as I began to doze off I was jolted back awake. I heard the most horrible noise my ears had ever heard in my life so far. It was the horrific noise of metal scraping against something and then... BOOM.....