Chapter 2: An afternoon with Thomas Andrews

JOE

We've been on Titanic since 11:55am yesterday. It is amazing.I'm still wonderstruck. I don't know why.

"Joe."

"Hmmm. Eddie."

"You were gazing into  sea. What's the matter?"

"Nothing I was just thinking of lucky we are to be on the grandest ship of all." I smiled

We were walking along the boat deck. I can hardly see over the railing  but whenever I  could see bits of the sea I just had to gaze into the sea. But clearly today I was gazing longer than normal. But I couldn't stop thinking ; Why was the sky so blue? Why was the sea so blue?

Before I could stop myself i was lost in my thoughts again. Maddie now had appeared.

"Boys, it is nearly time luncheon." she smiled sweetly. We went to our staterooms so we could change to more suitable clothing for luncheon. We then went to the Cafe Parisien for luncheon.

By the time luncheon had ended the wind had picked up and we were Queenstown, Ireland. As it Cherbourg Titanic was too big to fit in the port so the passengers who were boarding the Titanic had to come into boats called Berths and those who were not staying on the ship for the rest of the voyage were having to get on the berths that the previous  person was on to go back to the port but I don't know why they would want to not stay and be on the rest of the maiden voyage of Titanic. Before long it was time or Titanic's maiden voyage to officially begin.

Never before had I been so excited for Luncheon to be over.

"Eddie may we go to the library?"

"Of course Joe. But is it okay if I ask Molly Brown or Mr. Andrews to look after you? Because I want to spend time with Maddie as well"

"Sure." I replied. I really didn't care that Eddie was asking someone to look after me. I just wanted to go to the library.  Then Mr. Andrews passed us.

"Mr. Andrews?"

"Ah, yes Mr. Mason ."

"If you're not busy doing rounds could you please take Joe to the library and babysit him please because I would like to have a romantic stroll with Maddie?"

"It would be a pleasure." smiled Mr Andrews.

    ********************

I was in the library reading. Mr Andrews was helping a boy with a picture of the Titanic. This was absolutely paradise. After I read my third book Eddie and Maddie had come to get me.

"Thank you Mr. Andrews  for looking after my brother."

"It was a pleasure I was able to help someone with their picture of the ship and he stayed in my eyeline. The only time he went out was when he went to go get the book he was reading just as you walked in but bless him he asked my permission first."

Eddie just smiled and ruffled my hair.

"Hey. My hair." I whispered before turning to Mr. Andrews to say. "Thank you for taking care of me Mr. Andrews."

"You're welcome Joe."  came his reply and we waved goodbye and headed off to our staterooms.

A few hours passed and it was time for dinner. Tonight at dinner we were sitting at the  Captain's table.

"Captain Smith sir." said a man who looked no older than Eddie.

"Who are you?"

"Harold Bride. Wireless operator for the marconi telegraph company." Mr. Bride said looking quite proud of his job.

"Why are you here?"

"An Iceberg warning sir. Another one from the Californian."

"Take it to the bin."

Maddie was flabbergasted to hear Captain Smith say that. I couldn't help but wonder was she really shocked at how careless Captain smith was being with Iceberg warnings or the fact that he had a small bit attitude towards Mr. Bride. Captain Smith must have thought that it was the Iceberg warning that had Maddie shocked.

"Oh nothing to worry about Miss. McCoy. It's perfectly normal for this time of year but don't worry I'll keep everyone on this ship safe."

At this Maddie seemed to relax a little but only a little. But there was a feeling in the air that something shocking was going to happen sooner rather then later. Whether it would be in 2 days or perhaps on Titanic's return england was the question.

Again after dinner Me and Maddie went to our staterooms where I would have a bath stay up a bit later and rad a book or maybe draw but every time I got into bed I was always exhausted. And would fall asleep instantaneously. And Eddie would be in the 1st class smoke not smoking or having any alcohol because Eddie didn't agree with any of that but he would be talking about father's business.