Begin to Be

A/N: Double uploadddd! Drama incoming! Kirideku centric.

Livid would not even begin to explain the kaleidoscope of emotions swirling through Katsuki's head, glaring down at his feet to pointedly avoid eye contact with Izuku. He can't believe what he's just been told---can't believe he's upset about it either but there isn't much he can do about either of those.

"Kacchan? Are...are you okay?"

His immediate instinct is to blow up at him and hurl as many insults as he can but that would be wrong and he's learning to let that part of himself go so that he can grow as a hero---and as a person. It's not Izuku's fault in particular and hell, he should be happy for the shitty nerd but that heavy feeling in his chest in making it more difficult than usual.

"I didn't mean to upset you by telling you that. I thought you'd be happy---"

"I-I am happy. Just...gonna be weird."

What he really means to say is 'I'll miss you' but he doesn't want to seem childish while he and Izuku are in the middle of such a serious conversation. Luckily for him, Izuku is good at picking up on his true feelings---all he has to do is look him in the eyes. There's an empathetic smile on his face, stirring his drink as Katsuki hides his pout in the pages of his textbook.

"Yeah, I get what you mean. But it'll only be for a month or two to get some experience and All Might is sure this would help control my quirk. I just want to do everything I can to not let him down after he trusted me with so much, you know?"

Katsuki sighs. The last thing he wants is to make the nerd feel bad. This is something to be celebrated, not mourned. It's not like he's dying.

"You don't have to explain yourself to me, Deku. I'm just being a selfish asshole. I'm proud of you, forreal. Go to America and kick some Yankee ass."

And Izuku absolutely beams at him, nearly knocking his drink over as his hands shoot out across the table to grab Katsuki's own with tear-glittering eyes and a wobbly smile.

"You really mean it?!"

"Yes, nerd, now stop crying! People are staring!"

"Kacchan, you don't know how happy you've made me!"

He can take a guess, though he's not sure why his approval was what mattered. It was evident to everyone that Izuku would intern at the same agency that nurtured All Might so it shouldn't have been much of a surprise that they'd be sending him to the States for his work studies. Go figure he'd be partnering with Melissa Shield. It's even more impressive that they hadn't even waited a full week before telling him that he'd be leaving. Katsuki can't imagine how Inko and Eijirou feel, not to mention the other Dekusquad nerds.

"How'd Auntie Inko take the news?"

"She's coping. A little scared but you know how mom is. She's still going to support me and trust in my abilities as a hero, which makes me happy just to hear from her. Iida and Ochako have been really emotional about it too, but they're excited for me nonetheless."

"And Shitty Hair?"

He can tell from the way that Izuku's face sours that it didn't go well.

"Yeah, not so much."

"Well fuck, was it that bad?"

"We got into a fairly nasty argument last night. He left our apartment and I haven't seen or heard from him since. He's angry at me."

It genuinely shocks Katsuki to hear that since Kirishimi is literally the most understanding and supportive person that he knows. That couldn't possible have been enough to set him off, right? He'd expect for him to be happier than anyone else.