Chausar ka Khel

In a restaurant a bit away from Chattujje Sadan...

Mrinu: Main nahi kar sakti yeh kaam Cheeni Di, Main unse kya kahungi? Unke sawalo ka jawab aapke paas hai, main un sawalo ke jawab kaise de paungi...

Cheeni: Dekho Mrinu, jabse maine tumhe jana hai, maine yahi samjha hai ki tum Biren ke liye kuchh bhi kar sakti ho. Ab woh tumhare liye itna pareshaan hai ke, woh zindagi mein aage badhne ko razi hi nahi. Mujhse shaadi ke liye mara jaa raha hai, par tumhari khoj paaye bagair kuchh nahi karega zidd pakadke baitha hai... Yeh dekho kya kiya usne kal raat.

(She showed a love byte on her forearm) Mujhse doori bardasht nahi kar sakta. Kal toh aaya hai aur raat ko hi mere kamre mein aake yeh sab. Maine usse kitna samjhaya, par kya karu pyar toh main bhi karti hu naa usse Mrinu. Tum bas usse se mil lo. Ek happy family mein ho yeh yakeen dila do. Apne Pati ke bare mein batao, apne bachche ke bare mein batao. Bas aur phir humesha ke liye chali jana.

Use koi parwa nahi hai, bas ego pe leli hai tumhari baat. Tumse mil lega toh sab wapis pehle jaisa ho jayega... Aur mere liye yeh shadi kitni zaruri hai yeh toh tum se zyada aur kisko pata hai Mrinu. Tum ne hi toh mujhe Maut ke muh se bahar nikala... Tumhara yeh aakhri ehsaan hoga mujhpe. Please Mrinu... aur tum paise ki fikar mat karo, tumhare bete ke ilaj ka sara kharcha main uthaungi...

Please itna karne ka haq toh dogi na mujhe... akhir mera bhi toh woh kuchh lagta hai na... Tum meri behen jo lagti ho...

Please Mrinu ek baar bas aakhri baar... phir mujhe tumhari kabhi zarurat nahi padegi... I mean tumhe tang karne ki...

In the hospital...

Biren sat in Robi's office... stunned. The shock of the papers in Biren's hand took some time to wear off. But something rushed to his brain and heart too. A confusion, then happiness, and in the end elation of some sort.

Biren looked at the sleeping Bukku in his lap. And then he remembered Bukku's elation in holding a real football in his hand. He played with it for sometime but then he got tired. But Biren had managed to feed him some food and juice, just as a dark eyed little girl used to feed him when he was mute and new to Chattujje Sadan....

Memory

Mrinu: (when she was just 5 years old) Yeh wala chidiya ka anda hai, yeh wala haathi ka anda, yeh wala ek bade se sher ka anda hai, aur yeh last wala pata hai kiska anda hai?

(biren shook his head to a no, playing along with the tiny baby playing his mom) DINOSAUR ka anda.. Chalo jaldi jaldi khalo Bukkuda varna ghar ke peechhe ek bada sa, kala sa rakshas rehta hai woh aake sabko kha jayega. Jaldi jaldi khalo aap...

Now he held her fate in his hands... and this time he won't let her slip through his hands...

In a bus stop somewhere in kolkata...

The dread of meeting him was seeping through her bit by bit. How will he react.. What will she answer to him, after all he knew her inside and out. She will be caught before she opened her mouth. A fabricated husband, a ill child... no nono no no... not ill child a very healthy child. A happy marital life. And a dream come true. And she closed her eyes to hide the pain but they spilled through her eyes.

And then she remembered the love byte mark on Cheeni's arms and other marks which she confirmed as the results of their lovemaking.... BukkuDa must really love Cheeni Di..... And she straightened her shoulders while her face went pink with the embarrassment of knowing about such private moments in someone's life....

In Chattujje Sadan

Biren entered with a skip in his gait. And a mischievous half smile on his lips... when he saw Cheeni was talking to some lady in one corner of the living room... and then she saw him and immediately smiled sweetly...

Cheeni: (she came close to him and kept a hand on his chest) Maine tumhari problem sort out kardi aur woh bhi sirf ek din mein... Now you believe me... I do have all the caliber to be Jalsaghar's Mistress you see.... I just never thought it was that important to invest my energies...

The moment he heard her words he turned towards the lady covered in a ugly looking shawl. And all he could do was look at her back, stand there lost to all words... just get drenched in her presence.... He sighed.... SHE WAS HERE!!

HIS MRINU WAS HERE!