xxxviii. forever young

chapter thirty-eight
forever young

 MOVING ON AND MOVING AWAY should not be equivalent. It shouldn't mean the same thing. Why is it that whenever Rue tried to move on, she'd have to move away? What if she wanted to move on at her home? A home where she felt welcomed and loved and wanted.

 It wasn't fair — but from what she had learnt in the last year- life isn't fair. When things were finally beginning to fall into place — it was like the whole puzzle got pushed off the table, letting it fall apart all over again.

 And as Rue looked around the room, she could still feel the lingering ghosts of joy. The shadows of herself dancing around the bedroom, her hairbrush in her hand, tripping over items she forgot to put away. Either it was along to Queen or ABBA — there was still a smile on her face as Rue danced with Will and Jonathan. Or maybe it was the vision of herself singing with Max, where the ginger would always sing to her softly, bringing Rue to a beautiful dream that was too perfect to be real.

 Rue was robbed, just like Will. Just like her friends. They were all robbed of the sweet — sweet warmth of childhood. And highschool had begun a little over a month ago, and that was the first step to adulthood. If only they could all do it together.

 It was such a scary transition, and it happened so fast. If only Rue could hold on longer — if only the time could pass a little slower. However, there was no such thing as Neverland. You can't be a kid forever. Everything comes to an end.