Prologue

"Command, this is flight BA2102 approaching."

Static.

"Command, repeat, this is BA2102 and we are on approach."

Static.

"Command tower? Is anyone there?"

Static.

"BA2102, can you give me your location?"

"We're on route for landing in approximately—"

An ear-piercing scream echoed through the radio.

"Tower? Is everything okay? Do I need to start emergency protocol?"

"BA2102, you are free to land," Tower replied, the voice sounding breathless. "Please be aware that there is an incident unfolding right now and we will need you to keep your passengers on board until further notice."

"Sure, sure..." Captain Holand looked across at his copilot, First Officer Byrne, and they exchanged an uneasy look. "Tower, can you confirm the incident for us?"

Static.

"Hello? Tower?"

Static.

"We're not sure, Captain. It's not good. That's the best I can say right now. Keep your passengers on board and for God's sake, do not let anyone off unless it's life or death."

Static.

"Tower...did you say life or death?"

"Fuck," First Officer Byrne said, pulling out his cell phone and pushing the buttons on it to call his wife.

"Yes, sir. Things are...crazy here. Just keep everyone calm and on that damn plane until you receive further notice."

Captain Holand stared out at the lights of LAX airport coming into view through the cloud cover below. "Tower? Can you confirm...is it terrorism?"

Static.

"We don't know what the hell this is," Tower replied ominously. "But...oh god, Barbara, are you okay? Barb? Please...oh god..." A long, ear-piercing scream echoed out of the microphone before cutting out.

Static.

First Officer Byrne hung up his cell and turned to Captain Holand. "Sir, I can't get any answer. My wife...she's not answering her cell. She always answers. She's seven months pregnant and knows I worry."

Captain Holand dragged a hand down his face. "What the hell is happening down there?"

The clouds broke, and the two men stared down at LA. It was still too dark, and they were still too high up to make out anything for certain, but they could see small fires breaking out all over the city.

"Jesus..." First Officer Byrne murmured, lifting his cell to try his wife again.

Captain Holand picked up the radio again. "Tower?"

Static.

"Tower? Is anyone there?"

Static.