Tony should've been quicker. Maybe if he'd been a few seconds faster, he would have seen the knife in the lady's hand...

A glint of silver, and Tony was too late. Even at the top speed of his repulsors, he couldn't make it in time to prevent a small flash of metal and the frantic whimpering from the small boy. 

Peter.

The horrible cleanliness of the hospital room was harsh in comparison to the vivid color of Peter's blood spilling across the pavement.

Tony had dropped to his knees beside the body of his kid. Lady Prowler had receded into the shadows, still watching. He wanted to go kill her, but she wasn't the priority right now. Tony's priority was the kid bleeding out on the road.

Tony was clutching Peter's immobile hand.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Tony had ripped off Peter's mask to get a better view of the wound. Lady Prowler, in the shadows, had let out a strangled, horrified gasp.

'Yeah, that's right,' Tony had wanted to tell her. 'Spider-Man's only a kid.'

The wounds were healed better now. But not without a cost. 

Comatose, pale, disconnected from all reality, he was alive. 

For now.

Lady Prowler had run to Tony's side, searching through her bags for anything she could use to stop the bleeding. She pulled out bandages and gauze. 

"What are you doing?" Tony had gasped, confused and terrified. "Saving his life," Lady Prowler had replied, in a very familiar voice that Tony couldn't quite place.

It was probably thanks to her that Peter was still semi-alive.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Somehow, against all odds, Iron Man and Lady Prowler ended up bandaging a battered and bleeding-out Spider-Man. Tony had picked Peter up and started to fly away when Lady Prowler cried out "Please, tell me when he's okay!"

Only once May never showed up at the hospital did Tony realize why Lady Prowler's voice seemed so familiar.

It had been a mistake. May was trying to get money for her and Peter, not knowing that Peter was Spider-Man. She only wanted the best for them. It wasn't quite an excuse, though.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Peter, feverish and gripping Tony's wrist like a vise, whispered out an answer to Tony's earlier, unanswered words. "I love you, Dad. I'm sorry."

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Tony... it's been a month. We don't know if he'll recover," Helen said ruefully one day as Tony walked in. 

"I'm not giving up on him."

The dreadful silence that had followed as Tony desperately tried to keep Peter alive.

"Hey, kid. It's... been a while. People miss Spider-Man. Please, come back?" Tony swallowed past the lump in his throat. 

"Don't be sorry. Stay with me."

"Hey, Peter. I can't... please. It's been six months. I can't do this without you. Your friends miss you, Queens misses you, and nothing's been the same without you."

Beep. Beep. Beep.

No response from Peter. Only a quiet notification from FRIDAY that Peter's pulse was rapidly dropping.