The Princess and The Fool (Sage)

Watching Jason leave made Sage's heart ache. I hope that one day, you decide to stay with me... He thought as he watched Jason's muscular frame sway from side to side with each step. A soft sigh broke his lips as the door shut, and the pair of footsteps began to fade away. Why does he have to keep going to bed with other women? I know he cares about me, I've seen him looking at me! Why can't he just tell those sluts to go away! The air around him began to thicken as he looked down at the ground miserably. I don't understand why he keeps pretending to like them when he has no real love for any of them... His anger began to fester, and a slight crackling began to pop inside the fireplace. It's just not fair, he doesn't want to be with them, he wants to be with me! A loud crack, followed by a soft thud beside him, startled him enough to lift his head just enough to see two coals floating in the air, and the spit that was resting above the firepit was now on the ground beside him.

"What the hell..." He mumbled in surprise as he watched the coals fall back into the fireplace, sending little sparks floating up towards the roof of his shack.

"How did you do that?" A soft voice said from the doorway, making Sage yelp as he turned his attention to the door. A small girl stood in the doorway with long black hair that was tied in a ponytail. "Do you have magic Sagey?" The little voice asked hopefully as Sage blinked in surprise at the term.

"No, my little princess, I don't have the power to use magic," Sage said as he smiled weakly and casually waved her in. "But what are you doing up Jariem, isn't it past your bedtime?"

Jariem's hazel green eyes lit up as a mischievous smile crept across her cheeks. "I wanted to know how your date with big brother Jason went, so I snuck out to come and visit!" Her smile faded slightly as she looked back at the doorway. "I saw him leaving with that mean lady who never seems to smile and decided I should come say hi to you instead."

Sage smiled softly and scooted back a few feet away from the fire as Jariem began to run towards him. Jumping into the air, she landed squarely between his legs and began to laugh. The two laughed for a moment before Sage's stomach started to rumble.

"I think I need to eat the rest of that pipper before it gets too hard to eat." Sage stated in a childish voice as he reached for the plate of slowly cooling meat. Jariem looked at the plate hungrily as Sage ripped off a piece of meat. "Would you like some too?" He asked, offering her the portion of meat.

"Yes!" Jariem exclaimed as she reached for the meat as Sage pulled it away with an expecting look in his eyes. Rolling her eyes, she sat back and smiled at him. "Yes please, I would like some."

"That's better," Sage praised as he handed her the piece of meat. He grinned as she snatched it and quickly began to eat it. "Being adorable only gets you so far in this world Jariem. Paring it with being polite will take you anywhere!"

"Uh-huh," Jariem responded as she chewed. Swallowing the small piece of meat, she watched as Sage brought a piece of the bird to his own lips. "So, I'm guessing you didn't get to kiss him huh?" Sage looked down at her with a pained expression as he chewed. "Didn't think so, well there's always a chance he will take the initiative and kiss you first!" She suggested as Sage swallowed the food."

"Maybe, but I don't think he wants to take the first step." Sage scoffed as he pulled another chunk of meat from the bird and offered it to Jariem. "Ever since he saved me out in the bad-lands, he seems to only see me as a little kid who needs protecting."

"You don't need protecting, do you?" Jariem asked as she swiped the food from his hand.

Sage scoffed, "Of course I don't. I mean, that was years ago, before you were even born! I trained hard, and I learned how to defend myself. I even bested one of the elders in combat last week!" Jariem looked up at him concerned, as wonder sparkled in her hazel eyes. "I didn't hurt him though, we were using practice spears." She nodded her head understandingly and listened intently. "I think I could even beat Jason in combat if I was ever to try."