Chapter Twenty-Six - Severus

Note: There might be triggering scenes. Read with caution.
_________________________________________

After leaving Albus to talk to Candice alone, the Potions Master went back to his dungeons and started brewing the suggested potions for the girl. He felt stupid for never considering to look in the Slytherin's lare for the girl. Nor did he think of asking for her elf to check on her. Why didn't he think logically? Severus knew why. He was too worried for her. He was scared to lose her, despite she isn't even his yet.

His door gave a slight shake, before the sound of skin meeting the wood met his ears. The professor called for the knocker to enter. He was a tad surprised when Miss Black entered quietly. She took a deep breath in before words started flowing out of her mouth.

"I'm sorry t-to disturb you, sir. I just w-wanted to apologise for my behaviour in t-these past days. My attitude t-towards you was unacceptable, not to mention the f-fact that I skipped lessons."

For a moment Severus just stared at her with his usual cold expression. He never expected the girl to apologise. The whole situation took him off guard and he didn't know how to react. The pear coloured potion in front of him bubbled, alerting him to add the next ingredient on the list. He turned away from the waiting Slytherin and tended to his cauldron. The man heard the girl behind him shift, and suddenly she was next to him - with a board and knife - chopping the subsequent component. He looked at her wide-eyed and opened his mouth to speak, but she stopped him.

"Shut it, Snape. The least I can do is help."

The potions master took a while to get over those simple sentences for several reasons. Firstly, she told him to 'shut it'; he wasn't sure why he felt flutters in his stomach instead of anger at her disrespect. Next, she called him 'Snape'; simple, snappy, and with it, she seemed to highlight the fact that currently they were equals. It gave him Slytherin vibes, through and through. Lastly, he noted how she did not stutter once. She truly seems to have improved. They worked a few minutes in silence before he decided to ask her about it.

"Pardon?" Candice lifted her gaze, "You noticed?"

"I have."

"I guess I have p-practiced a bit. And read a few books." her face reddened, "Keely helped a lot too."

"It's a good thing. Don't be ashamed of your progress." Severus remarked.

From an outer point of view, the two worked perfectly in sync with each other on the potion for the next hour. The professor allowed the girl to read over his notes on the mixture, and they even took turns in moderating the cauldron. Coming to an end, both hands shot forward, reaching for the last ingredient. His cold and pale skin met the warmth of the other, sending a shock down his arm. He abruptly pulled back and gestured the girl to finish the potion.

"Is this on our curriculum?" she asked while bottling their masterpiece.

"Hm?"

"This potion."

"Oh, er, no. It's one of my own inventions."

Severus placed a lid on the last vial, before cleaning his cauldron with a flick and summoning ingredients for his next job. Poppy asked for calming draughts, and although he said to give him a week (like he always does), he wants them done for tomorrow. He forgot the girl's presence, and it nearly startled him when she spoke again.

"May I help with that too?"

They made eye contact. The professor didn't understand why Miss Black was so desperate to help. It wasn't even that she bothered him... No. She worked without fault or interruption. He almost enjoyed her company. But no, he need to stop with these stupid thoughts and feelings!

"I think it is time for you to return to your room, Miss Black. It is getting late."

"Oh. R-right. Thanks for allowing m-me to help, sir." Candice swiftly cleaned her workspace and hurriedly left the room.

Severus sighed and spent the rest of his eve in silence; brewing. His thoughts about the girl have not stilled, by the time he sat in his armchair, next to his fire, with a bottle of firewhisky later that night. He took another swig - the burning sensation of the liquid long forgotten - hoping to erase the image of the young Slytherin.

He should be in Azkaban, he thought. He should have been there after the First Wizarding War. Yet Albus testified for him and recruited him as a spy. He grumbled something indecipherable and gulped down some more of the intoxicating liquor. Somehow, his mind returned to Candice and he punched the stone wall in his frustration. His knuckles ached, though they went ignored as the Potions Master lifted his left sleeve.

He glared at the faded tattoo with hatred, then without much thought, he grabbed his wand and silently cast a sectumsempra towards his forearm. Red flowed over his darkened skin, as well as his neutral blanched. It took a few moments for the drunken man to comprehend his actions and seal the gash. Severus only stopped staring at the remaining white line in horror when his eyes drooped to sleep.

The tired man was woken as his floo flared to life. His eyes snapped open and he nearly cried at the brightness of the sunshine that came through his only window. He recognised the robes of the Headmaster, as the old man dusted himself off. Snape groaned, then a switch went off in his mind and immediately fumbled to pull his sleeve down. Albus noticed the action, but let it slide, chirping a 'good morning'.

"Why you here? So early." the dark mass stood from the armchair to stretch his limbs.

"Early? You missed breakfast. And Candice is looking for you." Albus made himself comfortable on the couch, and saw the two empty bottles discarded on the floor, "You might want to pick those up." he pointed down before Severus stood on them.

The man warily got rid of the rubbish and ordered a house-elf for a black coffee, while he downed his usual phials. His attention went back to his father.

"Miss Black was looking for me?"

"Yes. Of course she was. Have you forgotten you offered to brew her dietary supplements?"

Severus bit his lip to refrain himself from another groan of exasperation.

"It's okay. You already seemed to have some in stock. I passed some to her." Dumbledore regarded, and the other nodded, "May I ask about... your firewhiskey intake and scarred arm?"