Chapter Seventeen - Candice

Candice's study timetable was finally set, as McGonagall gave in (after a lot of persuading) and agreed to tutor her too. She came up with the following:

Monday - Snape
Tuesday - Flitwick, McGonagall
Wednesday - Lovegood
Thursday - Flitwick
Friday - Longbottom, Snape

Although that plan was to start from next week. This week, Candice had a session with the Potions Master and none until the following Monday. Unless Professor Snape requested her presence again, which Candice highly doubted. He clearly didn't like her, and after the Potions incident, she was sure he was ready to strangle her.

Tuesday went by in a blur, and sure enough the clock rang six again, like the day before. Candice rushed to his classroom from the library. She got engrossed in her Transfiguration assignment, making her very late. The girl caught her breath, then knocked firmly on his door. She heard his velvety voice allow her in.

"You are late Miss Black and your tardiness is unappreciated." he sneered as she stepped in.

"I apologise P-professor." she took a seat in front of his scrutinising glance.

"No explanation?"

"I w-was in the l-library. T-time works d-differently there."

"That it does." she saw his lips lift for a second before they drooped, "I haven't seen you in the Great Hall."

Candice looked confused at his question, but fearful of where the conversation was going. She had been skipping meals, not that anyone needed to know. At the moment her focus was on her education not on distracting things like food.

"As I've s-said. I w-was in the l-library."

The man stared at her before giving a nod and standing.

"Works out perfectly then, as I myself missed dinner. Care to join me to the Great Hall?"

The girl completely missed his smooth lie of not having his own dinner. She instead hesitated, and Snape reassured that her tutoring will not be missed, just delayed. She stood and proceeded by his side to the place she has avoided for a while. When they entered, house-elves were clearing away the House tables - no students were in sight - and a few professor were left at the staff table. Candice desperately wanted to turn back, run and hide instead; although as if Snape read her thoughts, he placed his arm behind her hip and guided her to the free seat next to his.

"Candice! What do we own you the pleasure?" Professor Lovegood asked brightly.

"I took it upon myself to make sure that she does not miss her dinner. We wouldn't want her inability to concentrate during her extra session." Snape spoke coldly, whilst putting some food on the girl's plate.

"I c-can do that m-myself!" the Slytherin protested and stared wide-eyed at the amount of food he has given her.

Snape muttered something she didn't hear and turned to his own plate. Professor Lovegood said some kind words, before excusing herself with Professor Longbottom, followed by Candice formally giving them a farewell. The young professors corrected her to call them Luna and Neville, as they were not as nearly as old as the other respected elders. Snape huffed at that, while McGonagall laughed at her cubs' forwardness. Despite Luna being a Ravenclaw, she was well-known for her admirable nature to all professors... And now she was a professor herself!

"You aren't eating." Snape noted as she pushed the food around her plate.

The girl looked up at him shocked at the fact he noticed, and rapidly put a broccoli in her mouth. It wasn't something she loved, yet chewed and swallowed anyway, not wanting to get on bad terms with her Head of House. Once she started eating, she craved more, and so Candice ate a few more vegetables and even gave in to the temptation of the chicken. She knew Snape was taking glances at her, but eventually she had to stop feeling sick of her intake.

"That wasn't much Cand. Perhaps try a bit more?" McGonagall's voice made her head snap to her.

The witch in the green robe seemingly also watched her intently and perhaps with concern? Candice wasn't sure. Furthermore she noticed that the Headmaster's seat was empty. She wondered when he was to return, as she wished to talk to him.

"I'm s-sorry but I'm f-full Professor." she turned her attention back to McGonagall, cheeks tinting pink.

"Call me Minerva, or even Minnie. We might as well drop the formalities knowing the amount of time we are to spend in each others presence in the upcoming future." she smiled at the young girl and left her seat.

Candice was curious what she meant; assumed that the Transfiguration tutorings. Little did she know of what was to come. Snape finished also, and they silently made their way back to the dungeons. By the time they got back there, it was around seven o'clock. Not that either of them cared for the time. They sat at a table and the professor went through her book - potion by potion - making sure to take a note of anything she didn't fully understand, so they knew what to focus on in future sessions. To the student's surprise, the Potions Master was almost kind to her! He made no harsh comment when she gave a silly answer, nor did he belittle her for her lack of precise knowledge on how to handle the ingredients.

Even though Candice felt comfortable, she was a tad relieved when she exited the class. Her curfew was at ten in the eve, so she had just less than two hours left. She considered going to the library again, but thought against, wanting to just lay and relax in her bed. All dreams must be disturbed however, and so was hers as she heard a shout from behind her.

"Oy! Black!" Candice froze wanting to ignore the voice, yet turned anyway incase she heard wrong.

She heard correctly, as she saw Dais (her oh-so-lovely potions partner) and some other Slytherins approach; mostly who Lyra told her to avoid at all costs.