Claire, To Liam

Claire cautiously rapped on the door, knuckles curling and eyes flitting back and forth across the front lawn. She reached down and took Aaron's hand in hers, smiling softly at the touch and exhaling, attempting to soothe her nerves.

Both of them - Claire and Kate - had decided that it was best to deliver a final closure to their two late best friends. Meaning, they were finding Charlie and Jack's relatives to deliver some words and hopefully soothe the families and their hearts.

Of course, that doesn't mean Claire wasn't nervous. Charlie hadn't often spoken about Liam, his former rockstar brother, and she'd never pressed. That being said, Claire had absolutely no idea what he was going to be like. (Am I going to regret this? Is Liam going to be some low life junkie? Will anything happen to Aaron?). The thoughts buzzed through her head like a swarm of angry bees, but she pricked her tongue and forced it all to the back of her mind, just for now, at least.

A slight creak on the other side of the house caused Claire to stiffen. She raised her head, breathing through her nose and making sure she looked as professional as possible while on the doorstep. "Hello?" she asked.

The door slowly opened and a clean-cut man stared back at her. His hair was an ashy brown, with soft eyes and a round face. He was wearing a maroon striped long-sleeve shirt with black pants and casual shoes. "Hi," he greeted. After a pause, he squinted. "Have we... met before?"

Claire paused. "No. We haven't. But.." She trailed off. It was hard to find the right words. "I'm looking for Liam Pace."

His eyes flashed. "That's me." Liam glanced down at Aaron, but quickly met Claire's gaze again. "Can I help you?" His voice held caution and suspicion, but she could also sense the curiosity there.

She sighed and looked down, squeezing Aaron's hand. "Yes," she murmured, heart wrenching in her chest. "I'm here about — about Charlie. I was one of the, the people that returned from where we were stranded. I.."

"Oh, of — of course." Liam stumbled back, looking hopeful. "Is he alive? Is there any way we can rescue him? No official stories have come out, so, so I just figured —"

Out of motherly instinct, she touched his arm gently. "I'll explain everything. May I come in?"

"Oh —" He chuckled and dipped his head, allowing her to step inside. It was a nice, homey place, with hardwood floors and an open kitchen with a dining room nearby. "Feel free to sit."

A woman suddenly poked her head out from behind another door. "Guests?" she asked.

"Err.." Liam lopsidedly smiled. "Kind of."

She narrowed her eyes slightly and strolled forward, tilting her head to the side. "What's really going on?"

Liam looked down. "It's about Charlie, Karen," he whispered.

The woman - Karen - seemed taken aback before her gaze flickered to Claire, warm and bright. "Welcome to the Pace household!" she exclaimed, grinning at Aaron. "Hi! Who is this?"

"Aaron Littleton," Claire smiled, heart resting easy in her chest at the knowledge that her son was in a safe place. Still, to this day, she worried whether or not her boy would be okay where she left him. That long time of being away really took a toll, but she felt like a better mother each day. Truly. "My son."