Batstar's backstory

backstory

before birth

during a gathering, cedartuft of driftclan and finchcall of eclipseclan conversed until the leaders had finished their speeches. they were so smitten with each other that they decided to meet on the border the following night. after doing so for many moons, the two grew to have a very close relationship and became mates. finchcall came to find out that she was expecting her mate's kits. torn between loyalty to his clan or losing his family, cedartuft decided to allow his mate to move to driftclan and have their children. the ridicule from those he'd once considered friends began to gnaw at the soon to be father, crushing him into a tangle of fury and grief. he began to lash out at anyone that grew close to him; this didn't leave out his mate. finchcall grew depressed but knew she couldn't leave, especially since she'd just given birth to her kits... batkit and adderkit.

kithood [1-6 moons]

batkit was born small and weak, a frail black tom that nursed for far too long. he grew healthy again when driftclan's medicine cat looked after him, much to the relief of his parents. adderkit was a smokey brown swirled tabby she-cat with lean muscles and large paws. she never seemed to shut her mouth and easily dodged harsh words from those that looked down on the half-clan kits. determined to be more like his sister, batkit followed in her footsteps and they traveled everywhere together, becoming best friends in their damaged family.

cedartuft had grown more and more abusive, taking this newfound anger on his kits. adderkit often spoke horrible about their father, much to batkit's dismay - how could he hate his own parent? he wasn't sure what to do, but decided that he could secretly love cedartuft and lie while agreeing with adderkit.. that was the best thing to do. finchcall often looked over her kits with soft amber eyes, which eventually grew duller and duller through the passing moons. but why?

apprenticeship [6-12 moons]

as an apprentice, batpaw was given the cold and brutally honest bearmask as a mentor. adderpaw was much luckier, granted pinestorm's mentorship, who was much quieter but determined than bearmask. wanting to prove his worth, batpaw worked with the other apprentices- lynxpaw and the older sunpaw- to train and grow better with his hunting and fighting. he grew closer to lynxpaw during this time and farther from his sister. as his mentor grew increasingly abusive, batpaw had to learn to hide the claw marks under his thin fur. without the support of adderpaw, who had been distancing herself from seemingly everyone, batpaw wasn't sure how to handle himself anymore. finchcall saw the scars and held her son while he cried into her shoulder one night, grief and anger tearing her apart.

batpaw felt less heavy after talking with his mother, though noticed the tension sparking between finchcall and cedartuft. he tried to speak with adderpaw about the matter, but she shrugged him off and refused to talk about the "family drama." batpaw grew angered and demanded to know what was wrong with her. why was she so distant now, when they'd been best friends as kits? weren't siblings supposed to be close? adderpaw would often look lost, explaining that she just couldn't tell him. as the older sibling, she had to look after their family...but she wasn't sure she could anymore.

worried for his sister's decreasing mental and physical health, batpaw sought the help of his mother. however, finchcall was growing more and more distant, eyes hardly flickering with recognition for her own son. batpaw felt so lost. the only one he had anymore was lynxpaw, and she had no idea how to fix his problems. batpaw could only wait them out.

the following moons were hard for batpaw. he was finally able to confront his sister alone on the mountain outcrops, but this only seemed to strengthen her secretive nature. batpaw lashed out when adderpaw didn't tell him what was wrong with her. the siblings began to fight, ending with batpaw pinning adderpaw to the dusty ground. her eyes filled with tears and she admitted that she knew something about their parents. cedartuft had been abusing finchcall- mentally and physically- for moons. batpaw didn't believe it. how could he? the apprentice dismissed his sister's beliefs, shaking his head and walking away without turning back.