17. Mr. President

Start from the beginning

"... Unsuccessful. President Andrew Rodriguez made history by being the first Vice President to take office under Section 4 of the Amendment. His first speech was given in a disclosed location where he promises America to find these terrorists and bring justice where its deserved. So far no one has claimed responsibility of the terrorist attack, and again we're only assuming these are terrorists, but it's been reported that President Rodriguez has a suspect in custody. The identity of this suspect has not been revealed yet, but America is holding their breath in hopes that the country might be safe again. There's also been unconfirmed reports that only one suspect has been captured and that this might not be a lone act. We are waiting for the White House Press Secretary to comment on it at a hearing today and hopefully we can get some answers..."

I frown. My mom never told me. Maybe because nothing was certain. I put the food aside, my appetite gone. I find my way to the bathroom and relieve myself. I look at the mirror and almost jump in surprise.

There are deep dark circles under my empty eyes, my lips are dry and cracked, and my hair is nappy and messy. Blemishes, possibly from stress, are evident on my face.

I quickly look away and wash my hands. I pass by the room where Andrew was sworn in and out of curiosity, I open the door. The room is exactly the same as it was a few days ago, a bed still hasn't been placed back in yet. Something glinting off the sunlight catches my eye on the windowsill. I walk over to it and pick it up. It's a small pin of the American flag. I close my hands around it before I hear a sharp sound past my ears. I frown and look behind me. There's something black indented on the wall. I move closer and touch it. My eyes widen. A bullet.

How the hell did a bullet get in there?

Suddenly I see a red light moving on the wall. I quickly turn around to see a small hole through the window. The sound of my screams are muffled when the window shatters, sending glass shards everywhere. The sharp sounds of bullets are deafening as it tore through the open space. I crouch underneath the window, frozen in place. I can't bring myself to scream again in fear that the shooter will know where I am. What if he starts shooting lower? Can the bullets tear through the wall? It can't, right?

The door flings open and men in black suits run towards me and haul me up. They start to pull me away but my legs give way. A man puts me up on his shoulders and run out of the room.

My body turns hot as pain shoots up every inch of my body. Then darkness engulfs me.

Damien's POV

It's been a few days since the former president was reportedly alive but in a coma. It's been a week since I've seen Hope, held her hand. The only thing I have done this past week, ironically, is watching the news while enjoying the alcohol coursing through my system. It's the only way I can still see her face on TV and not feel that ache in my chest that I hate.

Thankfully, Sade Baderinwa had just reported that a suspect has been captured and held in custody. At least I know Hope is safe somewhere.

My phone vibrates and I check to see that Jane had texted yet again. She wants to come over and check up on me. Translation: She wants to fuck. I tell her I'm not interested.

I look up to see Sade looking panicked. I pick up the remote and increase the volume. "My God..." She is saying as she puts her hand on the mic in her ear. "In an unprecedented situation, it hasn't been confirmed, I repeat it has not been confirmed, but reports are coming in that there was another assassination attempt on the daughter of the former president, Hope Madison. We're not sure if-" My body jerks up and suddenly I feel hot. My vision teeters with vertigo and I clutch the back of the couch for support. But there's no time. My body takes over my mind and I instinctively grab my keys and run to my car. I quickly type in 1600 Pennsylvania Ave on the GPS, an address I've unfortunately become all too familiar with in the past week, and slam my foot on the pedal.