Falling || Aaron Judge

I fell in love with my best friend many, many years ago. There was something about Sally Carmichael that always drove me crazy.

Seeing her now-- six years later-- the feelings I felt when I was a teenager come back rushing through me full speed. She's always been a force to be reckoned with. A tiny thing that didn't back down from a fight and always protected my honor. She punched the kids on the block who made fun of us because we were adopted.

Today, staring her down like a maniac in the tiny treehouse my dad built for us when we were kids, I can't help but reminisce about the love I felt for her-- still, feel for her.

Maybe it's the new pink hair or the silver hoop in her nose. Maybe it's the ink scattered on her left arm, full of colorful designs that shape her into an expensive piece of art displayed at a museum.

"Lost?" Her glare is menacing, but I love it. I've always loved it.

Guess I'm habitually a masochist when it comes to her. I'm like a moth to a flame. I'm attracted to the light of her icy blue eyes even though I know their longing stare will burn me.

Back then, we were attached by the hip. Today, we're like oil and water.

"Me or you?" I retort.

With an eye roll, she looks at me dead in the eye. "As much as I love the attention, it's getting kind of creepy having you follow me around, don't you think?"

I scoff. The treehouse is smaller than I remember it being. It was always our hideaway spot. Our home away from home. It's funny that we both ended up here today. I've been home for two days now and she's right. I have been following her. Too much of a chicken-shit to approach her. It's been a long time since we last spoke and I can't help but be cautious around her. I know she harbors a lot of anger towards me even though I don't know why. "You're not even on my radar."

Lies, all lies.

She's the sole reason why I can't sleep at night. She haunts my dreams.

"So, why are you here? Ever since you went all high and mighty on us, you never visit. When's the last time you came home?" Her tone is bitter, her words sharp like knives.

She left for Berkeley without saying goodbye. I was confused at first, then just pissed off. My calls were rejected, my messages unanswered. When I left for college, I never heard from her again. I tried my hardest to keep our friendship afloat, but Sally was the one who let go first. There was no reason for her to be so mad at me. She chose not to be my friend. She chose to end our friendship without telling me why. If anyone should be mad here it should be me. I should be pushing her away, telling her to get out of my treehouse.

"Not that it's any of your business, but my Grandma died. I'm just here for her funeral then I go back home."

She pulls away from the wall she's leaning against and drops her eyes to the wood floor. Wow. Never thought I would ever see Sally show sympathy towards anything. "Aaron, I'm so sorry."

I'm surprised that she has no idea, considering that our mothers are still friends and talk to each other every day. That's how I've been able to keep up with Sally. My mom tells me all about her. I've fallen for this crazy girl through stories and pictures. "Figured you knew as much."

She shakes her head. "I just came home for a short visit. I leave Monday. What happened, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Honestly, she was failing to thrive. I think Grandma never recovered from losing Grandpa. I keep saying it was from a broken heart. Sometimes you can't bounce back from losing the love of your life."