Birthday Baby || Dansby Swanson

I walked into the kitchen, ready to tackle another day of work. Music was playing from the small speaker on the counter-- some rap song that didn't make any sense, too many repetitive lines about bitches and hoes.

I grabbed an apple from the bowl next to it and walked over to the sink to wash the nasty wax off of it.

"Good morning."

I jumped back at the voice. Looking over my shoulder, I was greeted by a head full of curls and a toothy white smile. His mustache was covered with the remains of his cereal milk. Typical dork.

"You scared me, Dans."

"You walked in like you were determined to wash that apple real good. I didn't want to burst your little bubble," he joked, grabbing a napkin to wipe his mouth.

"It's because I know what I want for my birthday."

He rolled his eyes. "You know I love spoiling you, but you're getting kind of expensive."

I bit into the apple, taking my time to chew. Dansby was like a brother to me, which kind of made my idea of a present super awkward, but I was dead set on it. Besides, he could never say no to me.

"It's pretty cheap-- free actually. Well, getting it is, the part after will be a little pricey, but I think I work hard enough to make it work." I blew out a breath and wiped my sweaty palm on my jeans. "I want to have a baby."

Dansby blinked, looking around the apartment for a moment before his wide eyes came back to me. "Do you even have a boyfriend?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You don't need a boyfriend to have a baby. Kourtney Kardashian collects kids from Scott Disick and they're not even married."

He laughed lightly, shaking his head. "You've lost your damn mind, girl. Do I need to call Maury to have you go on as a guest for one of those segments they do on girls who are desperate to have kids?"

I flipped him off. "First of all, I'm a lot older than all those pre-teens. And second, I'm allowed to have kids whenever I want. Society can suck my dick. Age is nothing but a number."

He jokingly reached out to grab the big 'fuck you' I sent him and pretended to shove it in his pocket. "Are you having a pre-midlife crisis?"

I huffed loudly and flipped him off again, this time with both fingers. "I don't even know why I'm friends with you."

Dansby laughed again, scooting his chair away from the table. "Because I'm the only one willing to risk my life just to tell you that you're crazy as hell. You're turning twenty-one. Don't you want to get wild or something? Blackout in Vegas? A baby, really? I didn't even know you liked kids. You hide in your room when Tucker comes over."

"I hide because he gives me those cute eyes that say, 'please, marry my uncle.' I don't want to be the one to break his little heart." I tossed the rest of my apple into the trash and washed my hands.

"You're a baby whisperer now?" He asked, lost in his own thoughts.

I chose to ignore his smart ass remark. "I want to nurture someone and give them all my love."

"So, get a boyfriend or a dog. Problem solved," he shrugged, his lips curling up into a smirk.

He was such a freaking wise-ass. Ugh.

I took a deep breath slowly counting to five. This wasn't the only thing I wanted to tell him, but his reaction was making me run towards the door. "Listen, how much do you love me?"