Are you serious? || Hunter Dozier

For RoyalMerrifield; You are the best!

..

"Are you planning to do something big? I have a few suggestions if you're interested." My best friend and teammate, Ryan, announces from across the room as he flicks on the buttons of his X-Box controller. For a moment, I'm not sure if he's speaking to me because he has his headset on, but then he pauses the game and takes them off to turn his attention to me. "Doz?"

"Hm?"

"How are you proposing to Lexi?" He walks into the kitchen and sits on the barstool across from me. I'm finishing up my breakfast before we have to head out to Kauffman for batting practice. "You are proposing to her still, aren't you?"

"That's the thing." I point at him with my spoon. "Do you think it's the right time to do it? She's starting her junior year of college and I'm finally getting recognition. Should we throw marriage into the mix too?"

"Oh, brother. You've been together for six years now. I'm surprised there hasn't been an elopement yet." Ryan jokes, shaking his head. He takes a piece of my cantaloupe and pops it into his mouth. "Is she your forever girl?"

I give him a glare. "That's a really stupid question. Of course, she is. Alexis has been with me through my ups and downs. She's never left my side. Hell, she put off college so she could move with me to Nacogdoches so I could play college baseball. So yeah, she's with me forever."

"Then propose to her. Tonight," he suggests reaching for more of my fruit. I push my plate towards him and finish my yogurt. "You already have the ring and it's fireworks night. Do it after the game."

I stop mid-chew and look at him. "In front of everyone? I kind of wanted something more intimate. Just friends and family. I love the fans, but that's just extra, don't you think?"

He shrugs, "What girl wouldn't enjoy a firework show after being proposed to. It's the perfect night. She's finally coming to the city, your parents will be here too. It's perfect timing, bro. We can talk to the front offices and plan this really good. And the fans are gonna love you for including them too. Come on, I'll drive." He pats my shoulder and walks over to my living room to turn off the console and TV. "On the bright side, you'll finally be able to get rid of me."

I roll my eyes and chuckle. "I don't think marrying Lexi is enough to get you out of my apartment. You're like a migraine that keeps coming back."

I walk into my room to retrieve the black velvet box from my drawer. I stare at it and open it to find the princess cut diamond staring back at me. I can feel the flutters in my stomach when I run my thumb across the lavender diamonds-- her favorite color. I snap it shut and walk back to the living room.

Ryan laughs, returning back to our conversation. "That's rude but also very true. She's going to have to get used to me. I've been here taking care of you ever since she decided to go back to school."

"Shut up and let's go," I say, shoving him out the door.

..

"Oh, my baby! Look at you. Are you eating? You look so skinny. Do I need to send you more meals?" My mom hovers over me, squeezing my cheeks and inspecting me from head to toe. "And you look so pale. I told your dad I should have stayed a little longer. I don't know why I listen to him. Lexi, look at him."

I turn towards my girlfriend in hopes that she can save me from my own mother. She looks absolutely breathtaking. Her brown hair is up in a high ponytail and she's not wearing any makeup, but a coat of lipgloss on those beautiful lips that I love to kiss. She's wearing my jersey and a pair of cutoff shorts with white converse. Always so simple. Those blue eyes that hypnotize me are looking at me with amusement.