Chapter 48: It's Been a Long, Long Time

Start from the beginning

"Ma'am, if you could give me a second, I'll be right with you," Wanda said, sounding tired and annoyed. Claire frowned a bit and tapped her again. Wanda sighed and moved to stand up. "Diapers are in aisle 5—"

She paused when she saw Claire smiling at her and in an instant, all annoyance left her as Claire pulled her into a hug. Wanda melted into the embrace, letting out a soft cry as Claire tightened her arms around her and placed a small inconspicuous kiss on her head. After a minute, Wanda pulled away and smiled at Claire's surprise.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Wanda asked, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, "Shouldn't you be at work?"

"I told Tony I was taking a long lunch, so I came to kidnap you." Claire dipped her head down and captured Wanda's lips in a loving kiss. Deepening the kiss, Wanda stood on her tip-toes to meet Claire's height.

"I can't just leave," Wanda said sadly as she pulled away, dropping back down.

"Sure you can. Just go up to your boss, say 'I'm taking a long break', and then leave. If he tries to say something, I'll shoot him a growl and he'll leave you alone."

"Is that how you dealt with Tony?" Wanda asked smirking.

"No, but I did tell him I was taking a break," Claire said laughing. "I think he was glad I finally said something."

"Claire, as much as I want to, I can't just leave." Wanda took the box of cereals down the aisle and started filling the shelves again. Claire followed her and leaned against the shelves that Wanda started restocking.

"Wanda, come on. We barely see each other anymore. Us talking right now is the most I've said to you in like a month. I'm going crazy." Claire pushed off the shelf and grabbed a few boxes of cereal and helped Wanda stock the shelf. "Please, Wanda? Come out to lunch with me?" Claire stuck out her bottom lip, pouting, and widened her eyes. She looked right at Wanda, and after a few seconds, she let out a groan of defeat.

"Alright. I'll talk to Josh about taking a long lunch, but you have to help me finish this," Wanda said gesturing to the boxes of food that needed to go on shelves. Claire agreed and followed Wanda around the store, re-shelving the designated shelves. With Claire's help, Wanda was done in half the time, and after she was done, she searched out Josh and asked—more like begged—for a long lunch. Josh reluctantly agreed, mostly because Claire lowly growled at him, her eyes glowing a light purple.

Claire dragged Wanda out of the store and quickly caught a cab. Claire gave the cabbie an address that Wanda wasn't familiar with, but when he started driving, she leaned into her arms, planting a kiss on her hand.

"Where are we going?" Wanda asked as the taxi drove down the crowded New York streets. Horns of other cars and shouts of angry New Yorkers blared around them, but Wanda ignored them, having become accustomed to them once more.

"You'll see," Claire said with a mischievous grin.

The drive wasn't long, but in the time that they had gotten into the cab and now, the sky had turned dark and it started to rain. The light peppering of raindrops on the windows relaxed Wanda as she tried to—for the time being—forget her job.

The rain started to come down harder as the cab stopped in front of a little bistro. They got out, paid the cabbie, and entered the bistro in a hurry to get out of the rain. Claire's long hair stuck to her neck and face while Wanda's light make-up started to run, making the both of them laugh at the other's appearance. As they got to their table, Claire grabbed a napkin and scooted her chair closer to Wanda's and gently pulled her face closer, wiping away her running mascara. Wanda smiled and a light blush rose to her cheeks when Claire pulled away.