Chapter 35: Trick-Or-Treat

Start from the beginning

The door opened and the four of them each said, "trick or treat". The man who opened the door marveled at the costumes of the boys and smiled at Wanda and Claire before giving them all one handful of candy. They thanked the man and started to walk down the walkway before the boys stopped and turned back to Wanda and Claire.

"How did you see Black Widow beat Captain America and Iron Man?" Claire walked up to them and got down on one knee in front of them and looked around suspiciously before leaning down.

"Can you both keep a secret?" she whispered. The boys nodded their heads seriously and Wanda giggled to herself. She's good with kids.

"You see my friend over there?" Claire asked nodding in Wanda's direction. The boys looked over at her and Wanda smiled and waved when she saw them look. "Me and her, we're both members of the Avengers. She's got magic and I can turn into a werewolf. In fact, we're in our Avengers uniforms right now. We figured it would be the perfect Halloween costume."

"Are you undercover looking for bad guys?" the little Iron Man asked.

"Oh, of course. But don't tell anyone, or you could blow our cover. Can you keep this between us?" she asked seriously and raised her eyebrow at them. The boys stood up straighter and saluted her.

"Of course!"

"Good. Now run along and don't get into trouble. And watch out for the bad guys!" Claire told them as they ran off happily. Wanda came up behind her as she got up and lifted her mask to place a small kiss on her cheek.

"You're really good with kids," she said as they walked to another house. Claire smiled and shrugged it off.

"It's not that hard. You just gotta humor them."

"No, I think it comes from somewhere inside. I don't know what, but whatever it is, you have it." Claire blushed a little and thanked God that she was wearing a mask.

○○○

They visited a few more houses and their buckets were getting filled and heavy. Wanda's smile never left her face as they strolled up and down different decorated streets. They continued to run into the little Iron Man and Captain America a couple more times after that, and every time, they saluted the two women who would salute back to them. Claire was glad that Wanda was having fun and enjoying herself. Wrapping her arm around her waist, Claire pulled Wanda closer to her and nuzzled her with her wolf mask, causing a loud laugh to escape her lips as the fake fur tickled her cheek. Claire smiled at the sound; it was the most beautiful sound in the world, the second being the sound of her name coming from accented lips.

"Did you want to keep going or head over to the party?" Claire asked, pulling them both to a stop. Wanda smiled and pulled off Claire's mask, kissing her briefly.

"Why don't we head to the party. I'd like to get in a dance with my best girl," Wanda said twirling in Claire's hold. Claire laughed and blushed again, now wishing she didn't have this mask so that she could sweep Wanda into her arms and kiss her passionately.

They walked the few blocks further into the town, arriving at the party which was more like a block party. Music blared from various speakers surrounding a DJ and a dancefloor where people were already dancing. There were food stands and tables, little carnival games with cheap prizes, a little Ferris Wheel, and a merry-go-round. Lights and decorations were strung around on light posts and buildings, completely illuminating that festivities. Claire led Wanda over to the entrance and gave the lady at the entrance their tickets who in turn gave them a paper band and a smile.

Walking inside, Wanda's smile grew larger, and Claire was sure that her face was hurting from all the smiling she had done that night. Wanda led Claire past the different venders and games, her face lighting up at one game in particular; the test your strength hammer game. Claire stood beside her giggling as Wanda's face contorted in confusion as she tried to study the object of the game. She stared at the tower and watched the multi-colored lights illuminate the tower and point out different markers running up until it hit a large metal bell. A metal weight sat at the bottom on top of a lever.