Chapter 22: New Home, Sweet New Home

Start from the beginning

"Ross and his men would sometimes take me out of my cell, bringing me into this...conference room. They would take the jacket off but leave the collar on while they strapped me to this chair. Ross...would ask me questions about Steve and Bucky's whereabouts, but I didn't know. Whenever I gave an answer he didn't like," Wanda made a zapping noise with her mouth, imitating Ross pushing the button on the remote to the collar. "Most of my answers he didn't like. When he wasn't shocking me for information, some of his men took it upon themselves to try to beat the answers out of me. To be honest, I think I preferred the beatings."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," Jemma whispered, not knowing what to say.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Wanda said smiling at Jemma. "I'm sorry I left. I'm sorry I looked in your head; I shouldn't have done that, and I shouldn't have left without telling you."

"It's okay. I'm just glad you're here now, safe and sound."

○○○

The room was quiet except for the sound of the small TV sitting on a dresser. Wanda and Claire sat next to each other on the first bed with Jemma taking the second one for herself; Wanda figured it was best to give Jemma her space even though the two practically made up.

Wanda could feel Jemma's eyes land on her every couple of minutes, staring at her, though she never met her gaze. Wanda continued to stare at the television, not focusing on the show, but focusing on not focusing on Jemma. Things were still a little awkward since her confession, and she was sure that the awkwardness rolled off them in waves, making itself known to the rest of the team, at least she hoped the rest of the team didn't notice.

Claire noticed the awkwardness. She felt it and the tension between the two women as soon as she stepped foot out of the bathroom. It reminded her of when it got really humid in the summertime, how the moisture hung in the air, making everything feel sticky and uncomfortable; that's what the tension and awkwardness felt like, and like humidity, there was nothing that Claire could do about the lack of comfort except wait for it to pass.

She tried to focus on the TV show they were watching, but it was hard when she felt Jemma's eyes staring at Wanda. Claire didn't know what that was about, and she couldn't help the low growl that emitted from her throat. She knew her eyes were glowing brighter as Jemma's stare unnerved her. She blinked a few times, trying to get rid of the lavender hue, but no matter how many times she blinked, Jemma's stare burned her and irritated her. Another growl escaped her lips, causing Wanda to turn her head and look at the redhead. Her eyes widened when she noticed Claire's posture and eyes.

Claire instantly stood from the bed, the sudden movement causing Jemma to jump in her seat. She looked over at the redhead as she walked towards the bathroom and paused, pacing back and forth, trying to calm down. Wanda got off the bed and walked over to Claire, holding out her hands to not startle her. Jemma sat further back in the bed, looking at Claire in fear.

"Claire? Claire, are you there?" Wanda asked as she approached her. Claire's head turned and looked at her. She let out another low growl, her claws extending. "Claire, what happened? Tell me what's wrong." Claire pointed at Jemma.

"It's her fault," she said, her voice low. Her purple eyes continued to glow brighter as Claire was losing the battle for control. Her wolf was minutes if not seconds from taking over.

"Alright, Claire, I think you need to calm down, okay? Why don't you go into the bathroom and cool off, and then when you're calm, we can all talk. Okay?" Wanda asked as she led Claire into the bathroom and closing the door.

Claire gripped the sides of the sink as her claws continued to extend. She watched through the mirror as her shoulders rose and fell, matching her quickened breathing. She blinked more, attempting to settle her wolf down. Calm down, Claire. Calm down. She slowed her breathing down, inhaling for ten seconds and exhaling for ten seconds, continuing to do so until she started to calm down. Her claws had retracted and she didn't feel the urge to shift anymore, but the glow of her eyes remained; her wolf was still present.