Chapter Fifteen

When I woke up, I headed to the kitchen to help Kay with breakfast.

She waved to me when I entered, and offered me the bowl of pancake batter.

I made pancakes, and we started a conversation.

"So John's driving Alec up to school today. My baby's a junior in college," she said, wiping a tear from her cheeks.

"He's a great kid, I was so grateful to have him around this summer."

"And Wes, are you two a thing?"

Smiling, I put together a response. "It's complicated, I guess. I mean, we love each other, but we aren't dating or anything."

"That's so sweet. Don't tell anyone I told you this, but Alec is going to visit Abigail in a couple weeks to ask her to marry him," Kay said, smiling.

"They are just the cutest," I replied, flipping the pancakes.

"Morning, mommy," Sam said, rubbing his eyes and sitting at the table.

"Morning, Sammy," Kay said, smiling.

"Good morning, Sam," I said. I bet he forgot I was here.

"Hey, Jeanie, I didn't see you last night," Sam replied. He seemed a little upset by it.

The rest of the boys filed into the kitchen as time went by.

I went with Kay to the grocery store. We had a long list of stuff to buy.

-

WES'S POV

My eyes fluttered open. I'm in my room.

Where's Jean?

Groaning, I walked out into the kitchen. She's not in there. Neither is mom.

"Where's mom?" I asked.

"Grocery store," Sam answered, his mouth full of food.

"Alec?"

"College."

Now I'm confused. Did she go back home? I went outside, and looked in the garage. One car was gone. There was no truck.

Maybe I'm just driving myself insane. Maybe she's touring the school. Maybe she's helping with groceries. Maybe she's in a different room. Maybe she was just a dream.

"Where's dad?" I asked, walking back into the kitchen.

"Helping Alec."

So the entire summer was a dream? Dad's just taking Alec back home? Only one way to find out.

"Where's Jean?" I asked.

"Who?"

I began panicking. "Jeanie?" I tried.

"Oh, she's helping mom with groceries."

Relief flooded me. That was ridiculous to think I'd dreamed of her. How could I even dream of someone so perfect?

I love Jean. I really do. Her perfect golden hair, chocolate brown eyes, her 5'4" height, her beautiful smile, her sarcasm, her baking, her stubborness, everything about her.

And without her, I'm nothing. Before I met Jean, I was just the loser guy who was all talk and flirt, but never got a girlfriend. Jean was my first kiss.

To lose her, I don't know what I'd do. Just lying next to her every night is the best thing ever. That's why I convinced my parents to let her stay here.

Soon, she'll graduate, and we can move and go to school together somewhere else. I did apply for a school near her, and I did get in, but the system I'm in now will be way better.