Chapter 14: The Choice

Start from the beginning

Vision liked to come and keep her company, and would sometimes try his hand at cooking, making sure that Wanda was eating. He stood in front of the stove, reading a piece of paper, a pot sitting on one of the burners. Wanda stepped into the room quietly and sat at the island. Vision was muttering to himself.

"'A pinch of paprika.' A pinch." He looks confusedly at the recipe but added the ingredient. Wanda looked over the island, trying to see what he was making. The air smelled delicious and reminded Wanda of home.

"Is that paprikash?" she asked from her seat at the island. Vision whirled around and offered a her small smile.

"I thought it might...lift your spirits." Wanda stood from her seat and walked around to the stove and stood next to Vision.

Grabbing the spoon that was sitting in the pot, Wanda brought some of the delicacy to her lips, blew on it, and tasted it. She smiled; it reminded her of her of simpler times with her family.

"Spirits lifted," she said still smiling and chuckling, looking up at Vision. He smiled in return, glad that his first attempt at making this wasn't a disaster.

"In my defense, I haven't actually ever...eaten anything before, so..."

"May I?" Wanda asked smiling, hoping to lend her friend a hand.

"Please," he said gesturing to the pot, giving her a small smile. Vision walked out of her way and stood at the island. "Wanda?"

"Hmm." Wanda had her back to him as she sniffed different herbs and sprinkled them into the pot.

"No one dislikes you, Wanda." Wanda turned slightly and looked at Vision, frowning curiously.

"Thanks," she said turning back around.

"Oh, you're welcome. No, it's a...involuntary response in their amygdala. They can't help but be afraid of you." Wanda turned off the stove and turned to face Vision. Her face was serious and void of lightheartedness.

"Are you?" she asked. She was afraid of the answer, seeing as how Vision was one of her only real friends, but she needed to know. Vision smiled at her.

"My amygdala is synthetic, so..." Wanda laughed at his attempt at a joke to lighten the mood.

"I used to think of myself one way. But after this...," Wanda said creating a little misty red ball around her fingers. She moved it around her hand. "I am something else. I'm still me, I think, but...that's not what everyone else sees." The little red ball faded away, and Wanda frowned. Vision sighed before speaking.

"Do you know, I don't know what this is," he said touching the stone in his head, causing it to glow a light yellow. "Not really. I know it's not of this world, that it powered Loki's staff, gave you your abilities, but...its true nature is a mystery. And yet, it is part of me."

"Are you afraid of it?"

"I wish to understand it. The more I do, the less it controls me. One day...who knows? I may even control it." Wanda was silent for a couple of seconds, turning back to look at the pot on the stove.

"I don't know what's in this but it is not paprika. I'm going to run to the store. I'll be back in twenty minutes." She started to walk around the island, grabbing her keys, but Vision stood up quickly in front of her, blocking her path.

"Alternatively, we could order a pizza?" he asked. Wanda stared at him seriously.

"Vision," she said, her voice low and her eyes looking into Vision's. "Are you not letting me leave?"

"It is a matter of safety," Vision said, looking down, breaking their stares. Wanda chuckled dryly and sidestepped around him.

"I can protect myself." Vision's arm reached out and crossed Wanda's body, stopping her from walking forward.

"Not yours. Mr. Stark would like to avoid the possibility of another public incident." Wanda looked up at him in sadness. Even in her own home she was treated as a monster.

"And what do you want?" she asked him. His blue eyes looked into her green ones.

"For people to see you...as I do."

Wanda turned from Vision and stormed into her room. She stood in the middle of it, pacing. Her hands flew from her side and grasped her hair. She was so angry; she was angry at Vision, she was angry at Tony, she was angry at the government, she was angry at herself. She suddenly stopped, catching her reflection in her mirror, and realization dawned on her. All of this, the fighting, the Accords, her "house arrest"; it was all her fault. It all started when she blew up that building in Lagos. No. It all started when I let Lily die in Sokovia. I could've saved her, but I was too selfish. I let her die, and this is my punishment.

○○○

Jemmahadn't seen Wanda at all since she came home from work. She tried knocking onher door, but either Wanda was asleep or she was ignoring her, because shedidn't answer. Jemma sighed, having heard what happened, and sat down on thehardwood floor outside of her door. She rested her head on her knees, cryingsoftly as she thought about how no matter what Wanda did she was always andwould always be treated as a weapon first before a person. It wasn't fair howsomeone so amazing and kind and scared was always let down by those around her.As Jemma thought, she started to think back to the Accords and what couldhappen to Wanda if she signed. She prayed to God or whoever was listening thatWanda didn't sign the Accords. She could feel it in her soul; this wasn'tright, and she didn't want Wanda to give in and submit, hoping that it wouldbring relief only to be lied to once again. She wanted Wanda to fight for herright to exist, but she knew that she couldn't push the girl into any decision;it was up to Wanda.