Chapter 13: The Accords

Start from the beginning

"What?" the android asked with confusion.

"Vision, we talked about this," Steve said, closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose while gesturing between the wall and Vision. Vision followed his gesture, and opened his mouth in understanding, making an 'o' shape.

"My apologies," he said, directing his apology to Wanda who was staring at him wide-eyed. "But, Captain, you wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving."

"Thank you. We'll be right there."

"I'll...use the door," Vision said, walking past Wanda to the door to the training room, but paused as his hand grazed the handle. "Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

"We know who it is?"

"The Secretary of State," Vision said before leaving and disappearing down the hall.

○○○

Secretary Ross stood in front of the Avengers at the head of the conference table, looking each one of them in the eye before he started speaking. Wanda didn't like him; she got a weird feeling from being around him. His very presence made her uncomfortable, and she couldn't tell if it had anything to do with who he was as a person or if it was because he worked for the U.S. Government.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack," Secretary Ross started. "I dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass...I found something that 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective." He paused, but Wanda shifted a little, waiting for the twist in his story. "The world owes the Avengers and unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives...but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some...who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked, tilting her head to the side. Secretary Ross looked at her.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Wanda felt herself grow angry; this man had the nerve to lecture the Avengers about causing damage, when they were only trying to protect the world from threats. Way more damage would've been done and more people would've died had it not been for the Avengers intervening, and if they hadn't you'd still be here, lecturing us on how we let all this shit happen. Wanda bit her tongue; now wasn't the time. Secretary Ross stepped aside, revealing a large screen. He pointed a remote at it, and news footage of the Avengers and other S.H.I.E.L.D. incidents started playing.

"New York," he continued as the screen played a clip of a Chitauri leviathan, terrified citizens, a soldier firing a gun, and the Hulk smashing into buildings sending clouds of dust to engulf the camera. "Washington DC." The next clip plays, showing the three Insight carriers firing at each other, the destroyed Triskelion, a helicarrier crashing into the Potomac, causing a giant wave that engulfs citizens and the camera. "Sokovia." Wanda instantly tensed at the mention of her home as she watched the screen, seeing the clip of terrified citizens running and buildings being destroyed as the city rose in the air. Wanda felt her breath hitch as she thought of Pietro and Lily. "Lagos." The clips showed the burning building, paramedics moving bodies, and a dead girl. Wanda couldn't stop the tears that she felt come to her eyes. She removed her gaze from the screen and looked down at her hands on the table. No matter what I do, I'll always cause people harm. I'm not a hero, I'm a monster; a weapon. And that's all I'll ever be. Steve looked over at her and moved his hand to the table from his chin, sitting back a little more.