•chapter 42•

"Little sister, do you really know what you want?"

The One I Called Mother

~

Weakening her into submission. The problems he caused onto the earth, it would not only cause Acacia's mind to become more fragile, but it would ignite that power deep within. He had it planned so perfectly, so effortlessly. He knew if he continued with the lie of wanting to destroy the earth, she'd feed into it. It was so easy to open that door, to beckon to her hidden abilities, comfort it out into existence.

He grinned to himself as he pumped his anti venom into the world. He was on the path to winning, with the only thing he cared about by his side.

~

Kaleb would never in a million years expect he would be in the position he was now. Sat between his mother and Kaia, with Tamlin opposite and Rhysand stood at the end of the dining table. Cassian was beside Tamlin, with Azriel on his other side. Mor and Amren nowhere to be seen, as they were upstairs with Acacia, waiting for her to wake up.

"We need a plan," Cassian spoke the obvious, to which Kaia shifted on her seat restlessly.

"We need to find my son." Kaia urged, looking over Kaleb and at Feyre, who was too deep in thought to notice the female staring at her.

"Is that really a good idea?" Tamlin growled, "how do we know his reaction when he sees you? He's more powerful than you remember."

"Maybe if he sees me, if I speak to him, he'll realise what he's doing is wrong." Kaia was determined, fists clenched as they rested on the table, searching Spring's High Lord's eyes.

"This has gotten out-" Rhysand began, but was cut off as Mor began shouting from upstairs.

Mor.

Kaleb shot up, Azriel had already disappeared, Cassian not far behind.

Mor was shouting.

Rhysand's eyes flared as he quickly looked at Feyre, "stay here, with Kaleb."

And then he was gone.

Rhysand didn't know exactly what he thought he was going to walk into, but he didn't expect to see what he did. Amren was knocked out, sprawled across the opposite side of the bedroom. Mor was pinned to the wall with pines and branches, cutting into her skin.

Acacia was out of her restraints, eyes locked onto Cassian and Azriel who were sizing her up. The aura around her had shifted entirely, and Rhys couldn't recognise that confused, ashamed girl he first met so many months ago.

Rhys rushed over to Mor, who was grunting out in pain as thorns were digging harder and harder into her arms, legs and torso. The more she moved, the tighter they got. He put a hand out to calm her panicked eyes, "just stay still for a moment, the more you're moving the more it's tightening."